Author Topic: Delta Software .. plasma cutting  (Read 392 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Delta Software .. plasma cutting
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:28:31 AM »
I have ordered a little 30A plasma cutter today, I have a sheet of 1.2mm steel to do some roof repairs on my old land cruiser (sad picture http://imgur.com/a/HtHG2 )

plasma .. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191737290253

I straight away thought cnc ..  I figure i could gear down some normal little steppers with required cutting speeds. I made sure I got a plasma with pilot arc.

Came across this video a few hours ago, thought a similar design with a plasma would be fairly easy considering the options.

http://youtu.be/y60q6U7NjTQ

except I only need maybe 1.2 x 0.5m .. I was thinking of just using G2 belts, either a 3:1 pulley reduction (20T:60T) on a normal stepper and then I need delta siftware I guess.

So .. thinking G2 belt, its only for light use .. does it stretch much?

So wondering if anyone has used delta software .. am I on the right track with the concept ?

For idlers on the plasma I thought big ball bearings and maybe some magnets to pull the plasma to the metal.

My dream would be to cut out car shapes ., then attach a cnc jig to the car and cut the matching piece out, ready for welding, I really want a TIG but i reckon a gas MIG makes more sense.
probably better off just using the cut piece as a template though..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:29:09 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Delta Software .. plasma cutting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
have a I told you that you are an aussie deranged mad genius today?  I would love to do a cnc plasma... but I'm fairly certain I would cut off a finger.

I dont know that I can answer any of your questions but Id love to see what you come up with.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
Pretty sure there will be fire.

Just realised magnets will suck, you need gravity unhindered to provide the downward movements, so will just stick with ball bearings..

Actually will need multiple ones on the same axis, one coukd could fall in a hole and pull the cut.
On second thoughts ball bearings might suck.

Just downloaded the latest Marlin and am bench testing the ramps board atm.
Found an old Dell laptop supply to use, 20V 3.5A .. should be a good drive voltage.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
A fair bit of mucking around but finally got my plotter bed up and running at 10000mm/min feed.
It actually copes with 15000 and even 2000 on the X axis. Motor currents dropped to 270mV reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Aah7BapTo

This was the end of a 2 or 3 minute test to ensure it ended back at home, tomorrow will add a pen or a laser.

I am hoping to make this one my pcb etching device.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
So does anyone onow offhand what sort of layout the macine in the youtube video in the first post is called, delta seems to be reserved for 3D printers, pretty sure the math is going to fail on a 2d version.
I thought it be 'kinematic' but not entirely sure.

I am hoping my plasma arrives tomorrow, ordered 5 nema17's just for stock but figured I would try them on this, it is not like dragging a router around, though cable drag might be a lot not sure yet.
I have 2.5m of g2 belt, figure if I hang it between 2 motors in upper corners of a 800x800 bed and hang counterweights off the loose ends then I have enough belt to cover the entire cutting area with enough slack on the counterweights, no need to even cut the belt.

If required I can 3d print a reduction gear for the motors, need to pront a belt retainer to stop it slipping off the 16T pulleys I have.

If that fails, then I thought I coukd reolace the belt with say 6mm threaded rod, allow the motor mounts to pivot and the centre and could drive it with rods.

I don't need anything even that size, 400x400 would be enough for some fun.

I just have no idea what software to use for the toolchain.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Is it CoreXY?

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
Not exactly, a corexy will drive 45 degrees with both motors driven whereas this one is vertical.
also each axis describes an arc that the radius depends on the other axis position, if you i know what I mean. corexy is tricksy buy it is still straight lines.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
I thought this setup would be relatively common as it is so simple, it seems it is not.

I found at least a start project to experiment with .

http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-HANGING-PLOTTER/

Given the ramps board has about 85% free code space, I could add the appropriate conversion algorithm, however the instructable brings up some good points, namely drawing a straight line involves changing the speed of one axis continuously along the move.
Perhaps carving each straight line into hundreds of small movements is the way to go.

I can see a voyage into the murky guts of grbl in my future,

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
Plasma cutter arrived, these things are awesome, as much fun as lasers.

Handle feels pretty solid yet very light, cutting switch is just cable tied to the handle which is just a hollow tube (bakelite?) screwed to the head, so if you wanted to CNC one you could just have a light little head to motorise.

Pilot arc works, no need to touch the metal, blasts through paint, just had a practice chopping up an old steel computer box.

Only wondering why I never bought one years ago.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880