Author Topic: Mana SE led D4 blinking [Solved]  (Read 3155 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Mana SE led D4 blinking
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 06:25:05 AM »
Right. Tried that too. No difference. Tried with the nano that came with L7 board. So I think no problem with nano.

And that explains this, how ?
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »
It sounds like the board, but test the Nano while out of the board, if it works you are correct.

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
And that explains this, how ?
I took out nano from mana se and flashed it with older version and then flashed again with 1.1f without any errors. And i also tried another working nano from L7 board. Connected it to Mana se board, and powered it on. Same problem, led D4 still blinks. And nothing happens. I may be wrong, but tried two nano and no change.
Then I tried the nano with L7 board and the engraver works. Same nano with Mana se and led D4 keeps on blinking.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »
Something is shorted on the board, it could be the cap.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »
I took out nano from mana se and flashed it with older version and then flashed again with 1.1f without any errors. And i also tried another working nano from L7 board. Connected it to Mana se board, and powered it on. Same problem, led D4 still blinks. And nothing happens. I may be wrong, but tried two nano and no change.
Then I tried the nano with L7 board and the engraver works. Same nano with Mana se and led D4 keeps on blinking.

ah, confusion  .. that is not the same thing, the board works when removed but not when plugged in, which is what I was asking, with the board removed you can load up a picture and send and the thing will flicker its little serial LED and work just like a bought one. The nano is fine, the usb is fine, the software is fine.

As Zax says, you have a problem on the Mana board, check out that cap, maybe remove the stepper driver, unplug laser etc  until it starts working. I cant think of much else that can cause it, if it is a mana SE .. then it might be the cursed switch mode controller the tiny 8 pin TPS54331, they are notorious for going short circuit if anything spikes the input. I can tell you which pins to measure to check if short, the details are on the board here somewhere if you search for the part number.
I designed a board with them and after one of the first 10 failed I resdesigned it with an oldshool  LT1308 instead.
Here is somebody else hating on these chips https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/236002/tps54231-input-voltage-sensitivity-quite-high

If the TI chip is dead, you can simply carve it off the board, it supplys 5v to the servo connector, so you lose that 5v, and also 5v logic supply for the pololus, there is a couple of pads under the nano that when soldered together will also power the pololu logic with USB 5v, so you can most likely live without it.

Hopefully it is the cap though...

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

nehal

• View Profile
Re: Mana SE led D4 blinking [Solved]
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
It was 16V capacitor. Removed it and board is working again. I will have to replace it.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
good find! At least it is an easy part to get and replace
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
Forget the 16V, too low for a 12v input. I suggest replacing it with a 25V or 35V cap.
Same value is ok, but look for a 105C low ESR cap if you can, preferably a decent brand.

Although not totally needed in this case as the supply also has caps and the input should be well regulated, however it is fed by a switch mode so any noise escaping the supply will be high frequency, then it has multiple switch modes running off it so it needs a low esr and since it is supplying multiple motors with high frequency pwm signals has substantial AC needs, so a good cap here eliminates a lot of noise from the entire system.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
Replaced with 35V cap, and board is working again. Thank you for your advice. Will post some grayscale results in new post soon.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »
Forget the 16V, too low for a 12v input. I suggest replacing it with a 25V or 35V cap.
Same value is ok, but look for a 105C low ESR cap if you can, preferably a decent brand.

Although not totally needed in this case as the supply also has caps and the input should be well regulated, however it is fed by a switch mode so any noise escaping the supply will be high frequency, then it has multiple switch modes running off it so it needs a low esr and since it is supplying multiple motors with high frequency pwm signals has substantial AC needs, so a good cap here eliminates a lot of noise from the entire system.

There are two cap on the mana se board, could both be replaced with 24v or higher?

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
no, the 6.3v cap is after the 5v regulator, thats fine.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver