Author Topic: Wheels are wearing out to fast  (Read 587 times)

Armand767

• View Profile
Wheels are wearing out to fast
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
My 2 upper wheels on the x-axis are wearing out too fast, I just purchased my 2500mw laser last March and barely 2 months of  operation and so far produced 60 burns of 3"x3" logos. I just think its not normal, i can see black dusts on the wheels and on the gantry. I what I did now is swapped the wheels  with those from Y axis. Any thoughts? Or is there something wrong with the x stepper motor?

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Wheels are wearing out to fast
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
guessing here ..

wheels maybe too tight on the gantry or belt too tight, or maybe some lube.

I reckon the belt acts on the wheels at a different radius thsn the wheels to the gantry, so one of the two has to slip as it moves, does not matter which.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Armand767

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
guessing here ..

wheels maybe too tight on the gantry or belt too tight, or maybe some lube.

I reckon the belt acts on the wheels at a different radius thsn the wheels to the gantry, so one of the two has to slip as it moves, does not matter which.

Great...Thanks Stonemull. Will try your inputs later.

Armand767

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
Turns out the belt is the one wearing out. I removed the x-axis belt and made visual inspection, the middle part of the x-axis belt in which the laser is mostly operating  has already rounded teeth as compared to both ends of the belt. I can also feel by touch that the teeth are smoother than those at the ends of the belt. Good thing I anticipated this and ordered replacement belt in advance.

After replacing the belt my images are sharp again and the tiny vertical lines of texts are also sharp. (I noticed lately too that tiny vertical lines were doubled before belt replacement).

Looks like i'm gonna replace the belt every month to ensure sharp images.

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »
Another option, although more costly and time-consuming is to switch to the rounded tooth belts that give a smoother motion and don't wear as fast. They, unfortunately, require a change of the toothed pulleys too.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Grumpy

• View Profile
    • The Redneck's Rants
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
I purchase the Eleksmaker 2.5w engraver.  The wheels have No adjustment and are so tight on the rails that they develop flat spots when it sit for any length of time.  I have no clue how to fix this.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
One solution is to purchase 5mm eccentric spacers. You then enlarge the axle hole to accept the spacer. Rotating the washer gives  about 2mm of adjustment.  After you get the desired tension you tighten the nut to lock everything down (or until next adjustment is needed). BTW - most of us complain about the wheels being too loose.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
Mine is also a little too tight.
What I did was to slack off the nuts a little, grip the spacers and slack them off a tiny amount, like an eighth to a quarter turn.
It was just enough to allow the carriage to move a bit easier.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
But you had the Australian wheel borer worm get inside the bearings. They eat the grease and expand their bellies till they burst. The spewed guts react with the surface of the metals causing excessive friction and premature wear on the bearings and axles. A liberal dousing with Aboriginal toad foot extract usually clears up the problem. Unfortunately, due to the lethal and unstable nature of the ointment, that remedy is not available elsewhere in the world.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:42 PM »
oi, i'll bloody slack off your nuts a little in a minute.
toad foot extract is what they make vegemite with.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880