Author Topic: Mini CNC  (Read 4539 times)

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNC
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
I was hoping for a site with "experts" but opening a group here would be fine. Limited to "Mini CNC" or open to generic machining would be the question. How many members also have traditional CNC equipment? Are the design tools different?

Design tools are the same

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
I was hoping for a site with "experts" but opening a group here would be fine. Limited to "Mini CNC" or open to generic machining would be the question. How many members also have traditional CNC equipment? Are the design tools different?

OK, I've added Mini CNC to the forum.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNCs us
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
I searched high and low and there is no community I could find for these machines anywhere.
There are plenty of metalworking forums etc for 'real' cnc, they tend to use Mach4 which is a parallel centronics interface, virtually nothing serial controlled or usb. The common software that is used on those generally will not talk to grbl for instance.

That was why I posted here, information was very low to the ground and until wilb.bill piped up I had no idea what Cam software to use. estlcam in case anyone wonders, it does have its bugs though.

I would call these 'mini cnc engraver' personally, I don't think they are deserving of the term 'mill'.
Another term in use is 2.5D milling, they tend to be the heavier duty aluminium chassis 'mills' running the 500W spindles though, they are capable if aluminium but not steel, for around the $1000 start price.

oo, while I was posting, new thread, nice.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
That Ralph guy should run for some form of office. He really listens to his people  ;) ;D

He follows through with more than any politician I have ever seen.

Got my vote
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:37:42 PM by ThothLoki »
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
Thanks for the answers and also to Admin for the new Mini CNC section.
I was thinking downloading and learning a bit about the software, before the machine arrives. They say there'll be a CD in the package...have you received one? what kind of software do they propose?

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
@ggallant571:
which extra collets, drills and cutting tools have you order? I suppose they're not only for backup, but for extending the range of operations, right?
I'd like to start on it by cutting outlined shapes.(thin wood, rubber if possible)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:15:41 AM by Val »

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
I paid about $15 aussie for a 13 piece set of collets and an extra nut, collets go from 0.5 to 7mm in 0.5mm increments.
The supplied collet is 3.15mm (1/8) and I have found you can just jam a 1/8 tool into the 3mm collet so don't rxpect to get much leeway with the collets, they are not a chuck.
I love the tungsten carbide dremel bits, i think i linked them above, they are a 3mm shaft, I am not sure uf I tried them in the 3.15 collet, I suspect it would not clamp them.

Ralph, can we get this thread shuffled over to the new area ?
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
Could you use the nut to adapt from ER11 to ER16 for example? Which ones are for more precise cuts? The smaller or the bigger ones?
What kind of collets and bits should I need for cutting curved shapes out of plywood or thin wood? There are so many kinds, I'm lost.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
thanks Ralph :)

No, ER11 is ER11 .. the collets are basically 11mm across (11.5 actually)
ER11 maximum shank diameter is about 7mm.
ER16 is for larger motors.

If you just buy the burr bits I mentioned in the other thread here you will be a happy chappy. They fit in the normal supplied collet and you can do all sorts of work with them. You can do curved work with a flat mill, same as you can make curved items with a 3d printer, just it is subtractive instead of additive..

You can do almost anything with the fine engraving bits supplied with the 'mill' (i am going to call it an engraver from now on) however they are so sharp that you either have to do hundreds of close together paths or live with a groovy surface, easy to sand though. So you really just need a 3mm or 6mm to do the heavy lifting and then a smaller bit to clean up, estlcam also uses ball end mills, but I have not got any yet so I cant comment on the result.

The thing is you have to tell the CAM software what shape your tool is, estlcam

http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3072

I was lost too .. luckily we have an area to discuss it :)

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
Amen to that! :)
The machine has the ER11, is this the normal supplied collet you're refering to? Thy're including 10 drill bits: tip 0.1mm ,20 degree , diameter3.175mm

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
I just blindly purchased based on posted comments. Be nice to see how well that lines up with my "real" needs and what others are actually using. I have a couple of machinist friends who have "REAL" tools. Made them promise not to laugh upon seeing the mini. They both said it was great to see me enter their domain, just wished I had consulted first.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Amen to that! :)
The machine has the ER11, is this the normal supplied collet you're refering to? Thy're including 10 drill bits: tip 0.1mm ,20 degree , diameter3.175mm

Yes, the supplied collet is 3.125mm  .. the 3mm burrs will clamp into it though.

The 10 "drills' are half flat engraving bits, they are what I was using to cut the pcb tracks. They are extremely sharp, like a needle, they make great poking tools too for say removing hard to get at support on 3D printed objects. Good for engraving etc but not much good for removing large amounts of material.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
ok, Got it.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
I just blindly purchased based on posted comments. Be nice to see how well that lines up with my "real" needs and what others are actually using. I have a couple of machinist friends who have "REAL" tools. Made them promise not to laugh upon seeing the mini. They both said it was great to see me enter their domain, just wished I had consulted first.

Well I think as a learning tool it is well worth the purchase cost, how much would a CNC course cost :)
Add at least another 0 to the price to be a real machinist though.
I think I am going to add a raspberry pi to mine shortly, at the moment it needs to be plugged into a computer which is not ideal if you dont want a CNC mill in the lounge or bedroom or wherever.
With a Pi then it could run linuxcnc with some frigging around .. still researching.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
There was work on the Raspberry Pi with LinuxCNC.
They were building their own controller "hat" for the RasPi.

LinuxCNC is what is on my Sherline system.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA