Author Topic: Mini CNC  (Read 3562 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNC
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »
There is a CNC hat for the pi, I was waiting for obe to become more main stream ., ie from banggood or aliexpress as that will likely standardise the pinouts. I think this guy did the cnc hats for the uno with grbl and has since stopped handing out the design files ;) don't blame him.

https://blog.protoneer.co.nz/raspberry-pi-cnc-board-hat/
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »
Yeah the last time I read that particular thread they were making their own controller boards. I don't remember what firmware they were using on the controller.

"Well I think as a learning tool it is well worth the purchase cost, how much would a CNC course cost" It looks like it is a decent tool to learn on. I spent months learning to write gcode, for the Sherline, the hard way, then get it to do what it was supposed to on the machine! What I would like is a 3D printer style solution! Haven't found any that are free. Cannot afford the ones that look like they will work that way!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
Have a look at grblgnu .. it does a bunch of machine formats including cnc lathes, might be what you are looking for.

I only booted it up for a quick look at 3am last night, but I liked what I saw.
I sent the installer inside the 7z to a virus checker and it came up clean ;)

edit :added photo in lathe mode..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:24:07 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 08:46:37 PM »
My controller is built into the Computer box. It can be removed. But that "controller" is designed for LinuxCNC. It only has the drivers and electronics needed to drive the steppers. In fact I believe LinuxCNC is a software controller! When you add limit/home switches to it you only changes lines in LinuxCNC, not in the controller. So I am not sure you can "send" gcode to a "controller" on it.

Most buy the CNC ready machines then add their own controllers and steppers.
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
I"ve been contemplating one of these machines for a while. Trying to justify what I would do with it.

Trouble is i have a 3D printer, an A3 laser engraver, and now looking at milling for Acrylic, engraving soft metals.

I followed the link stonemull gave to aliexpress and it appears there is a sale in 3 days.

Base model is AUD$236, and the sale says $179. Postage is $84

So in 3 days, do or don't I. It's a bargain right?   lol
Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNCs us
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »
I searched high and low and there is no community I could find for these machines anywhere.
There are plenty of metalworking forums etc for 'real' cnc, they tend to use Mach4 which is a parallel centronics interface, virtually nothing serial controlled or usb. The common software that is used on those generally will not talk to grbl for instance.

That was why I posted here, information was very low to the ground and until wilb.bill piped up I had no idea what Cam software to use. estlcam in case anyone wonders, it does have its bugs though.

I would call these 'mini cnc engraver' personally, I don't think they are deserving of the term 'mill'.
Another term in use is 2.5D milling, they tend to be the heavier duty aluminium chassis 'mills' running the 500W spindles though, they are capable if aluminium but not steel, for around the $1000 start price.

oo, while I was posting, new thread, nice.

Did your T8 cnc forums? The T8 is a similar machine to what you posted

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 04:17:36 AM »
Well it sounds like you're just getting started on the collection... plasma cutter, vinyl plotter... the list never ends  ;D

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
Sale started tonight, I swear it said in 3 days. Anyway, 25% off. I blame Stonemull for this. hahaha
Now to wait for it to come, I'm guessing 3 to 4 weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CNC3018-ER11-GRBL-control-Diy-CNC-machine-3-Axis-pcb-Milling-machine-Wood-Router-laser-engraving/1941516_32802973337.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2995e5c0LuOkM3

Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »
Elephantman, I've ordered the same one a week ago, without the laser module, kind of the same pricing, but in $CAD. It left the warehouse in China but it'll still take a while . I'll order the laser module in the future, sometimes.
I don't have other machines in my collection, but need to start somewhere ???

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Sale started tonight, I swear it said in 3 days. Anyway, 25% off. I blame Stonemull for this. hahaha
Now to wait for it to come, I'm guessing 3 to 4 weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CNC3018-ER11-GRBL-control-Diy-CNC-machine-3-Axis-pcb-Milling-machine-Wood-Router-laser-engraving/1941516_32802973337.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2995e5c0LuOkM3

Good price, I think $20 less than what I paid 25% off.
You'll love it, good fun ;)

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2017, 02:21:48 AM »
Once order will arrive, is there a checklist with it in order to be able to tell if all components are there before installing it fully and confirm the order to the seller? And any way to test that the "active" components work?

Also do you have any tips for the"put it together" part ? Anything you wished you've done or known before finishing the whole process?

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNCuts
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
If its aliexpress the confirmation is 'order has arrived' not parts are missing, you open a dispute if that is the case. They will have tracking and know it has arrived anyway. So just confirm delivery and assemble it. I ended up with quite a few spare bolts, hammer nuts etc. kit is quite generous.
The little allen key sucks after a while, I used an electric screwdriver afer a while, there are a LOT of bolts.

This thing went together easier than the laser, mainly because the hammer nuts can be placed into the extrusion anywhere and not needed to be fed up from the stsrt of the slot.
I did the chassis up on a glass table to ensure it was flat, keep the photo handy to see which 2020 overlaps which bit and exactly where the angle brackets go, I had 2 spare and it took some study to see where they went.
The instructions have measurements on where to bolt things, take it slow but its a pretty easy build compared to the eleksmaker laser's crappy instructions imo.

I ended up making a low wooden case around mine, just drilled through the extrusion and bolted it to wood, I figured any loss in strength due to drilling would be made up for by a large amount of wood bracing. Sides are just low enough to allow the bed to move over them.
Keep a battery vacuum cleaner nearby in operation.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
I did a little playing with mine. I think it is slightly quieter than a chainsaw but not as precise.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:21:19 AM by ggallant571 »
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
Another reason to wrap wood around it.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
LOL!

My Mill is as precise as a razor blade, if I do my part. It will cut a 2" circle that is less than .002" (.0508mm) out of round from 1/4" aluminum plate.

But it is about as loud as a chainsaw when milling steel. It is mounted to a board for stability. It is on a old wooden dining table and I think that makes it louder as it acts like a drum when cutting.

The Lathe is pretty quiet with steel or Aluminum. Mostly motor noise with a cutting hiss. It is mounted on a board also.
Richard
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA