Author Topic: Mini CNC  (Read 4528 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNC
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 03:54:53 AM »
Thought I would look at bracing the X rods before I bite the bullet and buy probably a pair of SBR12 rails. Pulled out designspark mechanical and was going to 3D print something.
The end clamps are called SK8 and the dimensions show 20mm from base plate to centre of rod, so needed 16mm thick support, figured 16mm MDF might do the job to experiment with, mine is actually about 16.2mm thick so I chopped out a couple of bits of scrap and wedged it down the back.
Then I tried end milling with a 5mm 4 flute on my chunk of billet aluminium I melted down in the forge, waaaaay more successful, trying to lift the Z needs a great deal more force, now it seems to have most play in a rotating like moment.
I could however both end mill and clean up the side, a lot more chips flying than previously.

edit: better image of side..

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:11:44 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
To give an idea of noise I uploaded a short video, this is 500mm/min, 1mm Z steps though this is the final pass of the roughing cut and is 0.5mm depth.
Stupid parallel X machining, I originally processed it correctly using Waterline machining (vector instead of raster basically) .. except the feed rate was 1500 and cut depth 2mm and the first lap scared the crap out of me and also ran into one of the clamps.
I was knocking up a quick holder for the mill bits in their plastic cases to do on the 3D printer then thought I might see how the mill goes with it. Well it was noisy and took 1,5 hours, so 3D printing it would have been a lot faster, cleaner and produced a better item :)

Also .. just noticed looking at the gcode that it must have defaulted back to a 3mm end mill instead of the 5mm I had in the machine .. so many traps for unobservant young players. So My 13mm cutouts are actually 15mm..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLCuk-plac
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2017, 04:18:21 AM »
Well the kit arrived 8 days afte rordering in Dariwn. Thats amazingly quick compared to other china orders I've done.

It's together it's functionally tested, but tool bits haven't touched anything yet. I can see it bein gloud, and messy so i neeed to move it outside somehow and need setup without a 15m long USB lead.

I've setup a Raspberry Pi 3 with CNCJS. All is working quite well, remote control from a  webpage on any device, (PC, tablet, mobile phone).

Now, what to test with, and what program to create GCode in???

I"ve been using tinkercad a lot, and have fusion 360, but still on the learning curve with that.
ArtCAM came with the kit, but haven't had a chance to open and test that yet.

A tip for others, I assumed no instructions as the aliexpress page says no instruction supplied, but if you grab the CD that comes with it, it has instructions on there not just serial port drivers.

Anyway time for bed, I'm on early shift all week.

Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.

treinbert

• Just into laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
    • Spoor 1 Hobby
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
I have a feeling the CNC-cutting is a strange order. Why not deep mill each compartment at a time, and at the end mill the surrounding rim? This would be done relative easy with some simple G-code.
I think it is a lot faster, than a kind of raster as you have done at the moment.
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3 clone
Renkforce RF100,
500mW, 2500mW and 3500mW laser
Benbox A3 to be used with above lasers
Own build A0 with Z-axis with the same lasers
Proxon converted CNC cutter
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OSX

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
I have a feeling the CNC-cutting is a strange order. Why not deep mill each compartment at a time, and at the end mill the surrounding rim? This would be done relative easy with some simple G-code.
I think it is a lot faster, than a kind of raster as you have done at the moment.

Stupid parallel X machining, I originally processed it correctly using Waterline machining (vector instead of raster basically) .. except the feed rate was 1500 and cut depth 2mm and the first lap scared the crap out of me and also ran into one of..
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
LOL!

I have a clamp that has a little 30deg nip from a corner too! Sounded real bad as it is a steel clamp and I was cutting at Aluminum speeds.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
It was deep enough into the wood that the 6mm shank hit the clamp before the 5mm mill so I was spared the horrible noises.

Got a message from this guy on reddit lsst night, check out e video of this beast ..

https://github.com/madcowswe/ODriveFirmware
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
another idea for a small CNC
[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Scalable-Arduino-CNC-Plotter-Mill-3D-Printer/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email/url]
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

treinbert

• Just into laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
    • Spoor 1 Hobby
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3 clone
Renkforce RF100,
500mW, 2500mW and 3500mW laser
Benbox A3 to be used with above lasers
Own build A0 with Z-axis with the same lasers
Proxon converted CNC cutter
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OSX

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
another idea for a small CNC
[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Scalable-Arduino-CNC-Plotter-Mill-3D-Printer/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email/url]

Just saw that in my email! Looks just like the MPCNC on Thingiverse
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297