Author Topic: Mini CNC  (Read 1296 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Mini CNC
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »
So just bit the bullet on one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC3018-ER11-GRBL-control-Diy-CNC-machine-3-Axis-pcb-Milling-machine-Wood-Router-laser-engraving/32802973337.html

I was looking at a variety of them, they make the same machine in 1610 , 2518 and 3018 .. (16 x 10cm work area etc)  I could have grabbed the 1610 for about $70 less, tbh I am not sure why I am buying one, guess I'll think of some use. The smaller one to me seems like it would be stiffer however I figured I could chop this one down worst case or flesh it with a bunch of wood or aluminium or even 3d printed parts.

The spindle motor is going to suck at anything more than scratching wood, so figuring a mod to fit something like this would be a good idea, I will likely wait to see how the thing performs.

Possible addition .. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-500W-ER11-collet-52mm-diameter-DC-0-100-CNC-Carving-Milling-Air-cold-Spindle-Motor/2039042548.html

Anybody had a play with one ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:34:19 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

wild.bill

• View Profile
Re: Mini CNC
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
that looks like the spindle that i use. it need a power controller for the motor.
take a look at this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNBOCDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          K40
3D Printer: Folgers 2020 Pursa i3
                 Folger FT5
                 custom built Pursa i3

Boston Ma, USA

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »
That looks like a really nice spindle, great specs for the price.

It would need a voltage doubler (pump) on the input but that's no biggie.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
That spindle motor was actually pretty arbritrary, you dan get the same power cheaper and the 300-400W ones cheaper again, I am not sure how to select a suitable power for a frame type, seems to me rpm would be a better criteria than power at the small tool sizes used and you can get away with lower feed rates ahd cutting depths if required.
I woukd like to be able to do light aluminium work, seems it would be a good companion device to the foundry in that aspect, finishing off cast parts.

I wasn't going to worry about a speed controller, run it off a seperate 24v 10A supply turned on/off with a SSR operated by grbl, though a speed controller would pay fir itself in destroyed tool costs thinking about it, no over revving on first contact.

Not a lot of difference in price between 300-500W when a speed controller is added. Free shipping $86 for 300W and $103Aud for 500w.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ER11-chuck-CNC-500W-Spindle-Motor-Power-Supply-speed-governor-For-DIY-CNC-haven-t-52mm/32669810846.html

amazon is mostly not an option yet here in australia.

hmm, looking at the video on that page it is larger than I though .. and whats with that dudes thumbnail, looks like a prison nail.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:02:44 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
i don't think the spindle is fast enough or strong enough for aluminum.
i run my router at almost twice its speed when doing aluminum.

i do very much like the spindle for smaller things like engraving and fine etching. On mine i took off the pot and hooked up a pwm to 10volt board and control the spindle via grbl/t2

K40
                 Folger FT5
                 custom built Pursa i3

Boston Ma, USA

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
!Stonemull - I await your evaluation!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
Cutting speed for aluminium is 75-105 m/min

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speeds_and_feeds

= 100000/( 3 *3) = 11,000 rpm ideally though 8000 will suffice.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
for reference on aluminum, some cnc hobby machines use dewalt 611 router for aluminum

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
I happen to use a Makita router at 16K,

but another thing to keep in mind is what kind of bit you are using.
A single flute bit needs to run faster than a 4 flute bit.
And for aluminum I usually use a good quality single flute bit.

K40
                 Folger FT5
                 custom built Pursa i3

Boston Ma, USA

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
Stonemull, how did this machine work for you so far? (not the laser part, but the milling) Do you have some test examples that you could share photos of?
Also, reading some reviews, some said that it worked ok unit they replaced the knife with the laser module, and afterwards they had problems. Have you experienced any trouble switching the two?
Thanks!

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Its a lot of fun and a good way to learn CNC tooling, mine has never had, or ever will, have a lase fitted to it so can't help you there. I can't see why fitting a laser to it would cause issues though. What problems did they have .. and what 'knife' are you talking about ?

Wood or softer materials are fine, force on the Z axis causes the X rods to flex, due to the flex you want to make sure your cutting direction is correct, use climb milling instead of conventional, or else the tool chatter is nasty. It has trouble with regulatr milling cutters on aluminium,

The things I bought it for are learning, pcb drilling (which it does a great job of, seeing how usable pcb engraving is (jury is still out) and simply cause I like tools, I wanted one.

If you don't want to do metal, even soft metal,  these things work fine. Spindle speed is a bit low, i measured it at around 8500rpm. Ability to do 20000 would be nice.
I bought some tunsten carbide cutting bits suitable for dremels, had better luck with aluminium than milling bits, attached is a photo showing some manual operations on a chunk of aluminium, I found a 0.1mm x 3mm cut prodyuced results but its barely doable. Honestly, it is out of its league but I coukd in an emergency use it to clean up a part I guess.

Accuracy is quite good, I have been cutting pcb tracks at 0.05mm deep with a 0.1mm engraving bit, you can repeat the gcode and it follows the same cut.

I am yet to try 3d carving a piece of wood much, I have used it to cut a couple of stencils for the plasma cutter, but not tried an actual wood carving yet. It is next up on the cards after I get some work done.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Val

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 06:01:02 AM »
Cool, thanks for answering.
I don't have the machine yet, it's in the shipping process. I haven't ordered a laser module so far, but I'd like to do this in the future. My first intention was to get a laser tool, but this one was also something I wanted to learn working on, so I figured work a bit on it,  add the laser module later if possible.
The problem those people had was that once they wanted to return to milling (I meant work again with the Collet chuck module instead of the laser module), it didn't seem to work any longer. They didn't give any details.
For now I don't have the intention of working with metal, only wood, possibly foam, I was wondering if rubber or dry clay would work or not..just learning what I can do with it.
Is there a forum or a facebook group of people working with these machines that you guys know of?
I have no prior experience with these or with electronics, so I suppose even the montage will be a challenge, we'll see. I have a bit of experience working with vectors at a virtual level, don't know if that would help or not.
Wish me luck! :)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
Based on postings by Stonemull I purchased one plus some collets, drills and cutting tools. My primary purpose is drilling holes in plastic, wood, and thin (< 3mm) aluminum using the same host design tools as the laser cutter/etcher and 3D printer. Would be nice to also do:

1. Light duty surface milling.
   2. Rough edge routing.
   3. 3d routing in wood as prep for laser etching
   4. Countersink for screw heads.

I have zero mechanical CAD experience and a users group would be very welcome.

BTW - machine sits idle as cutting tools from China are late arriving. Drills arrived packaged in light duty, non padded,  plastic shipping bags.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
>and a users group would be very welcome.

George, on this forum or are you referring to another website? If on this forum, what name would you like to give it?
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dat6mz87hlq4cfc/SetupBenCutLaser2.8a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
I was hoping for a site with "experts" but opening a group here would be fine. Limited to "Mini CNC" or open to generic machining would be the question. How many members also have traditional CNC equipment? Are the design tools different?