Author Topic: Vectric Aspire Software  (Read 4331 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Vectric Aspire Software
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
I'm not 100% sure if Vectric Aspire can be used with these low cost, low power laser machines but my guess would be YES because we now have modified these lasers to use the Spindle word to control laser power. The S gcode word is a standard CNC word, so really, any CNC software should support us.

Is Vectric Aspire overkill? Oh yeah definitely...but if you already own it and use it, then I think you're OK to also use it on this class of laser.

There is another thread on this forum about my ongoing efforts working with Vectric to get their Cut 2D Laser software to work with our machines. The effort is on going but it is going slow...Vectric takes a long time to respond to my email communications.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

lovefool

• View Profile
Re: Vectric Aspire Software
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »
I agree with you  Aspire is overkill for a DIY laser printer, but Aspire has all functions of Vectric products including Cut2D.
Since I have seen someone made a Cut2D POST processor for laser, I may write a small program to convert G-code from Aspire to gbrl 0.9 as well. ( I am new to laser and CNC, but I can write program!)

I have been playing Aspire last night, but still didn't get how to work tho... :-[

lovefool.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
Actually, with the gitHub laser branch, and the modification made as detailed on this support forum, you don't have to convert anything. All you have to do is two things:

1. In your toolpath, create your laser tools with varying power settings/Feed speeds.
For example, create a laser tool for cutting using S255 which is 100% power. S is a valid CNC gcode word and so is the argument (255).
Set a Feed speed for this cutting such as F200.

2. Create an 'engraving' laser tool and set its two properties to what you have tested via trial and error using Universal Gcode Sender and your manual gcode testing to determine that the following works fine on wood for engraving:
S128 F250

That's all you need to do. Any CAM software can be used for this because we are using standard CNC gcodes for the laser. Just pick a generic, general purpose post processor.

Now, the trick is this: find a CAM software, which was written for classic CNC work, which doesn't have a ton on non-laser related properties and settings and bells and whistles (to confuse you) that lasers don't need!! That's the trick (read: the hard part) and is why I am working with companies and developers to develop us a laser-specific CAM software.

We don't need a lot of toolpath support, the basic, general toolpaths are fine and our laser tool definitions are really really simple. We don't even need any Z axis support.

Mogal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Hey All, sorry for the bump on this one.
Been looking into a PP for Aspire, and came across this thread, then more searching revealed this one:
https://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6322&sid=023be4682974dedb72fcc9192a8e5481

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will over the next coming days...
I'll post my findings when I do.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
I see my laser post on this topic was back in Feb 2016 where I was waiting for Vectric to respond to my latest email question...I'm still waiting for them to answer!

Cut2D for Lasers is an OEM product only. You cannot buy it. The Emblaser 2 comes with Cut2D Laser and their latest laser machine is $2,495.00.

I believe you can buy Aspire however, yeah, I just checked, you can: $1,995.00.

Cut2D Desktop (CNC) is $149.00.
Cut2D Pro (CNC) is $449.00.

Pretty expensive software in my opinion.

BTW what is PP for Aspire?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:25:23 PM by Administrator »

backyard_cnc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
As a vectric software user for many years and I am currently using the latest version of ASPIRE for my SHOPBOT router, I am very surprised you have issue with VECTRICs customer service. They are extremely prompt to respond to emails and correspondence and many staff are very  active on the user forum so answers are never far away. I would suggest rather than just waiting for a reply you follow up because something doesn't sound right.

I consider VECTRIC to be one of the best software companies I have dealt with from a user point of view! Yes ASPIRE is relatively expensive but get a price on ARTCAM and you realize what a bargain it is!

Gerald

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
Hi Gerald,

It's all a moot point now. This experience was back in 2016 when I was looking for a good software program that would support our laser machines. Cut2D Laser was an OEM product-only and you could not buy it. At that time, the Emblaser was shipping it with their machine and it was a closed system. Aspire's other software was too expensive for these low cost laser machines. In the end, Aspire just wasn't interested in what I had to say or what I needed.

I don't feel the need to continue to push my questions into a company or into their support structure. If they don't answer or take a long time to answer, that tells me a lot about who they are as a company and how they support (or don't support) their customers.

I've posted my experiences of my search elsewhere on this forum and, not finding anything, I decided to write BenCutLaser (BCL) and have never looked back. I had high hopes for the free HeeksCAD/CAM but the developer (Dan) wasn't interested in answering my questions himself and after joining his mailing list to ask my questions, my postings were not responded to. I finally figured out that was just a 'good ole boys' club they had there and they had no interest in letting a newbie into their circle. Scratch HeeksCAD/CAM off my list. In summary, every other CAM developer I contacted had no interest in converting their CNC software to support lasers. Not one.

After starting this forum and starting work on BCL, @Zax came aboard the forum and was working on his T2 software. At that time, BCL and T2 were the only CAM software targeted at these little laser machines. Now we have more software choices and things have gotten better in that respect.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
now a lot of plugins on  jtechphotonics to get v-carve working

Jfritzson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »
Moritz - can you provide me more details as I am very new but do use Vcarve pro for my CNC machine. I would really like to use it to control my A3 2500. Thank you for your consideration.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
i did not test this but on jtech they have lot of information how to use cnc ssoft i will find the tine to test and let you know

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines