Author Topic: Monitor the machine by a webcam  (Read 1275 times)

ameersh

• View Profile
Monitor the machine by a webcam
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:12:14 AM »
Hi

I'm thinking of using a good quality webcam to monitor the machine work without the need to look at it or use glasses.

Is it possible the blue laser light blinds the cam ? Any suggestions ?

I have 5.5w blue laser 445nm

ROSS

• View Profile
Monitor the machine by a webcam - LASER SAFETY
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »
Unless the laser unit is totally enclosed you SHOULD wear glasses all the time it is operating.....as it can certainly blind you never mind about the camera.
Its not really safe to leave a laser operating and wander off  either!

You are advised to Google  Laser Safety and  read all about it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:21:28 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Monitor the machine by a webcam
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:34:15 AM »
I have directly filmed mine with an ipad while it is operating and not noticed any issues, certainly looks bright when you see it then.. (note: i was still wearing goggles as well), I kept it short though.

A typical blue filter on a camera pretty much centres around the laser wavelength, so a high powered reflection could in my opinion badly damage the sensor. How likely that is I could not tell you, people film arc welders with them .. that is probably more UV though and filtered out to some extent.
I would be loathe to use a high quality camera that you cared about without a filter, so of course you could add a pair of the cheap red laser goggles in front of the lens and the sensor is not going to have a problem. You could probably then view it with some colour filtering (like a skeweed white balance) to get back to a semi normal image.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ameersh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
ROSS: thank you for the advice, I forgot to mention that I'm willing to make a closed wooden box for the whole machine and add an exhaust fan to it for the smoke. I'll neve look at it without goggles  :)

Stonemull: I'll go for your idea, I'll buy cheap red goggles and mask my cam with it. This may work perfect

Madmark

• Do NOT look into beam with remaining good eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
Be sure to baffle the fan to prevent light escaping from the fan. Naturally the spinning fan blade will scatter laser glints all over.

If you are making a solid cover be sure a lift safety interlock to cut the beam is installed.

M
GearBest A5 - 1600mW
LX-5 controller w/single MOSFET & GRBL jumper
Benbox 3.7.99
AutoCAD 2k .DXF
Ancient 2GB Dell Optiplex w/USB scanner

ameersh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
Be sure to baffle the fan to prevent light escaping from the fan. Naturally the spinning fan blade will scatter laser glints all over.

If you are making a solid cover be sure a lift safety interlock to cut the beam is installed.

M

Noted, Thanks  :)

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:07:58 AM »
I have done this with an old logitec webcam. I found it too bright to see any detail so I put the green glasses that came with the laser (I bought some better red glasses for humans to use). Works better and you can see more detail, I plan to cut up the green glasses and double up the lenses for more filtering. I have not noticed any impact on the webcam sensor.
I too use a closed box to mitigate the fumes and light...
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps