Author Topic: New Chinese GRBL board spotted  (Read 504 times)

MalcolmMP

• View Profile
New Chinese GRBL board spotted
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »
I was just on ebay looking at other controller boards and a board I hadn't seen before popped up. Here's a link to one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Axis-CNC-Controller-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraving-Machine/292150333991
(I attached a pic of one in case that particular link goes down in the future)

They look pretty similar feature-wise to the EleksMaker boards, but at least look like they've got better power handling, microstepping options, opto-isolation (for limit switches maybe?), and other goodies.

Has anyone seen or used one of these? At $20 I'm tempted to just buy one and see how it works, but it would be nice to know a little about them before taking the gamble. For instance, I'm wondering if the limit switch pins are all broken out properly or if they're all set to one pin like most of the EleksMaker boards available.

I can't find any sources or documentation whatsoever, but it's not too hard to figure out what's hooked up to what by following the traces when you've got one in hand.

Anyone know anything about these boards?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:11:13 PM by MalcolmMP »

billyy

• View Profile
Re: New Chinese GRBL board spotted
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
Hi,
Yes I have the same board.Am another one trying to wireup the ttl Part because as soon as I put the power on it goes straight to full strength.No control.
A number of posts suggest running a wire from the D11,on the nano to the pos of the Controller.Not sure if making sence,just want to be able to control the laser strength,spot I guess.
Because it is a different board,Lu Ban,Maybe someone can help point me in the right direction.
Am running T2 Software.
An Idea is maybe cut the driver out all together and wire it to the Lu Ban controller.Laser and fan are 12V,and maybe operate the laser through the software??
Pics Below.
Many Thanks to any Help or suggestions offered as this forum is a gold field of info.

billyy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:50:54 PM »
The above I got the wrong laser package with a driver.
The correct Laser is just plug and play and with the T2 Software works really well with this Lu Ban board
Just to add a little more info on the situation.
Thanks

MalcolmMP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
Sounds like for real plug n play you need one of the ManaSE boards.

On the one you've got, I believe D11 should be accessible by one of the Spindle Enable pins. I'm not sure which one because I don't know how the board is wired, but I would try starting there.

Have you tried anything with limit switches yet?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
If it's designed for pre-0.9 Grbl the spindle output (on or off only) would be on the z-axis limit switch.

billyy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
Apic of the Nana pins
Arunning T2
Guess I only need 5V.Which one though.
Am using the lastest Grbl in T2

billyy

• View Profile

billyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
More about this board.Link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-laser-engraving-machine-control-board-USB-multi-axis-DRV8825-stepper-motor-driver-with-Nano-V3/32777965292.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.2.HcjhHP&traffic_analysisId=recommend_3035_null_null_null&scm=1007.13338.80878.000000000000000&pvid=29a21eca-41d0-467c-bd2b-9474383de140&tpp=1

CNC engraving machine control system   

Model:LBA-B-V4   
Dimensions:120 * 65MM   
Pitch:112 * 57MM   
Laser power:100MW-5W   
Power supply:12V   
Number of axes:XYZ triaxial( Z-axis is not open accounts)   
Stepper motor: 4-wire 2-phase, two-phase line 6   
Motor subdivision:4x, 8x, 16x   
Warning lamp:power, laser, XYZ axis working status   
Limit switches:X1 X2 Y1 Y2 Z1 Z2 six-way stop   
Motor power:the largest single motor 2A   

Features:   
adjusting the laser power,   
low-light capabilities,   
all optical coupling isolation,   
interference,   
to support high-power laser,   
the latest CNC firmware,   
gold-plated pins.   

Drv8825 Stepper Motor Driver   

Features:   

The DRV8825 features adjustable current limiting, overcurrent and overtemperature protection, and six microstep resolutions (down to 1/32-step)   
The DRV8825 operates from 8.2 - 45 V and can deliver up to approximately 1.5 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (rated for up to 2.2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling   
The DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier is a breakout board for TI's DRV8825 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver   
The module has a pinout and interface that are nearly identical to those of our A4988 stepper motor driver board, so it can be used as a higher-performance drop-in replacement for those boards in many applications   
The DRV8825 stepper motor driver is the neccessery part for 3D printer Kit, CNC kit. It supports Prusa Mendel,ultimaker,printbot,makerbot and so on   

Description:   

Simple step and direction control interface   
Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems   
Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, and under-voltage lockout   
Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection   
4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation   
Exposed solder-able ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB   
Six different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, and 1/32-step   
Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor's rated voltage to achieve higher step rates   
45 V maximum supply voltage   
Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)   
Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver   
The max running currency: 2.5A   
Size: 1.5mmX2mm   

Nano V3.0 with ATMEGA328P Module   

Features:   

Better Compatibility for windows 8.0   
CH340G Replace FT232RL   
Operating Voltage(logic level):5V   
8 analog inputs ports:A0 ~ A7   
14 Digital input / output ports:TX,RX,D2 ~ D13   
6 PWM ports:D3, D5, D6, D9, D10, D11   
1 pairs of TTL level serial transceiver ports RX / TX   Wonder if this is the ttl I am looking for????
Using Atmel Atmega328P-AU MCU   
Support USB download and Power   
Support for external 5V ~ 12V DC power supply   
Support power supply by 9V battery   
Support ISP download   

a5   
Package Contents:   

1 x CNC engraving machine control syste   

1 x Nano V3.0 with ATMEGA328P Module   

2 x Drv8825 Stepper Motor Driver   

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
Apic of the Nana pins
Arunning T2
Guess I only need 5V.Which one though.
Am using the lastest Grbl in T2

I am confused, why do you need 5V ?
The 5v on the nano is usually an output, it is provided by the USB port though you can run the nano without usb by feeding 5v into this pin (depending on nano versions, some used a bad regulator that did not like it)
The TTL laser needs 12v and the ttl signal, as zax mentioned you can get the signal from the spindle enable line if you run grbl 0.9 or later.
Plug and play would need grbl 0.8 but you will not have TTL compatibility, so waste of time.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »
.. i mentioned the above because I am pretty sure I have one if these but I have no idea what I fitted it to or where it is at the moment.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

MalcolmMP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
Well for anyone who's curious, I went and purchased one of these boards since I figured I didn't have much to lose at $18 out the door.

So far the board works great for me:
-Limit switch pins all seem to be properly broken out and hopefully the optocouplers are actually wired in and not just for show. (My old EleksMaker board had all limits connected to the same X limit pin, so homing is more efficient now)
-Coolant Enable is also broken out, so that's also a plus if you're into that sort of thing.
-I think the quick connect screw terminals are a nice touch as well.
-Nice big traces for the 12V stuff.
-It's also got jumpers under the motor drivers to adjust microstepping if you need that.
-Jumpers/headers(?) for Direction and Step on each axis, GND/M_nEn. No idea what these might do.
-Also looks like serial communication pins are broken out. Sounds great, but I have no idea if there's anything built or written out there that can utilize this.

People with the newer Mana/TTL systems won't find this to be a good drop-in replacement. Those folks will need to wire the laser power to 12V directly then run the TTL wire to the Spindle Enable/Pin 11 (I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). They could also use the 2 pin fan connection header since that provides full-time 12V and ground.

I was honestly never able to get good TTL performance anyway until I wired the PWM control up to a decent transistor which was switching a clean 5V signal. 5V was never 5V coming off the Nano so the laser just never even came close to full strength when it was supposed to be at 100%. But I'm only using my table for cutting so the point is moot for me.

Anyhow, if anyone else is curious about the board I'd be happy to answer anything I can.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
I can verify the optocouplers are not just for show :)

Thanks for mentioning them, reminds me that yes, i do have one of these boards somewhere and I bought it to CNC control my plasma cutter, figured it woukd be noisy and I might need the isolation. only issue is that I just hunted for it and still can't find it..

One downsiide if the optos I have read is that grbl no longer is the determining factor on pulse speed, the optos slow it down somewhat. As low as 10khz reliably  (down from 30khz) though i have not verfied it, it could come down the brand of opto used.

Good review, pretty much my thoughts on it too.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver