Author Topic: Improviing Quality  (Read 3648 times)

dohickey

• View Profile
Improviing Quality
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
Hey everyone. I've got my Eleks Maker A5 working and I'm trying to learn what I can so on to the next topic.

I had trouble getting BenBox to work so I reached out to T2Laser and Zax, Once working I was dissapointed in quality. So I went back to BenBox with what I had learned and got it working (still not crazy about the interface, but has some good tools). So attached is a sorta side-by-side of the same jpg from both programs with their default settings. The blurry little fella came from T2Laser. Could someone please direct me to a resource that better explains the parameters?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Improviing Quality
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
That is certainly not the normal output from T2Laser, after you loaded the J-Tech Grbl 0.9 firmware are you sure you loaded the default settings? If so, perhaps your machine needs them to be tweaked.

I don't think that's a T2Laser setting issue, as I don't see how you could get such poor results, maybe if the speed was way too high for your machine or something.

So now you have Benbox firmware loaded, how about using T2Laser and trying the same image at the same size. Use Black & White mode, 0.01 Resolution and 1000 speed (or the same settings you're using in Benbox). If they take around the same time to laser, the results should be identical.

dohickey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
@Zam

I obviously didn't think T2Laser was the problem. Hardware can change even between production runs. So I do believe tweeking is the issue. Still trying to completely grasp the terminology, so please bare with me. I've attached the BenBox setup jpg that was part of the download. These are the settings I used.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
Speed 800 and Time 10 is very slow compared to the defaults in T2Laser.

Have you tried continuous mode with Benbox, if that works at 800 then you could try running T2Laser at 800.

Don't change firmware, settings or anything - just use T2Laser in Benbox mode.

Since Benbox only supports Black/White it is important to select that in T2Laser also.

dohickey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
Thanks Zax, will work on it tomorrow. If you (or anyone else) has an opportunity could you please give a quick definition equivalent? Still learning.

The crossover from BenBox to T2Laser: Obviously step = step. So max rate = ? Accel = ? and so on.

Getting closer - Thanks again.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »
Benbox is limited in it's options, which I guess makes it simple to use but you don't have much control over the output. A lot of parameters are configured in Grbl (like max speed, acceleration etc.), which Benbox locks.

Benbox                         T2Laser

Intensity                       Laser Power (Maximum)
Speed                           Feed Rate
Step                             Jog Step Distance (Laser Control Screen)
Continuous                   (this is the mode T2Laser uses, also called scanning)
(only setting)                Resolution (0.01)
(default)                       Black/White Mode
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:57:50 PM by Zax »

dohickey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Zax, I have to admit I was a little tunnel visioned with the settings for a while. I had problems with the parameters early on, so thats where I was focusing on fixing things. Hit me like a hammer when I realized the speed and resolution were set from the main screen.

This quality is exemplary - Good job sir.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
Correct, you should set those before it generates the G-Code but there is an override feature for speed and power if you need to make quick changes or edit previously saved G-Code.

Thank you!