Author Topic: took the plunge...  (Read 307 times)

kibodwin

• View Profile
took the plunge...
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
I have finally given way to desire and ordered a cheap K40 Co2 laser from Ebay.
Will see what I get for my money but already making a checklist of things to check like the continuity of the ground from the plug to the chassis, etc...
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: took the plunge...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
Please keep us posted on how it goes...I think many are interested in doing the same thing...!!!
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dat6mz87hlq4cfc/SetupBenCutLaser2.8a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »
will do, if the seller is correct I will also point towards their auction.
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »
So.... I got the machine yesterday and spent the best part of the night setting it up. I still need to sort out the fume extraction situation but a first test shows it works and is properly earthed. All the connectors have plenty of solder and the crimping is nice and strong and each one is insulated. It is nice and tidy inside. I seem to have the nano M2 board so I think I got a more modern version of this machine. The tube label says it is rated for 60W but the working Wattage is 39W.
I got it in a massive box, if anyone else orders one they need to be aware that this will fill the boot of your car. It was well packaged in a box in a box. There were a lot of bangs and dents in the outside box and I feared the worst but nothing was broken. There were a few bumps and scratches but nothing bad. The safety glass was cracked on one corner but this is inside the enclosure so again not a big deal.
The water pump is ok and works for now but I will look for a replacement as I am not sure how long it will last. The fume fan has to go, it is awful, too big and wired for Chinese 220v not EU 220v. The power cable is very thin.
I am using demineralised water (the only water I could find) and not distilled but I should be ok. I am using 20Ltrs in my beer brewing bucket for now and the few tests I have run did not change the temp at all.
If people want the name / info of the ebayer I got it off I can post. It did as described get shipped from Germany and got here in 2 days.
I am more than happy to answer any questions.
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:55:18 AM »
Good to hear your report, sounds very similar to my experience so far.

CO2 power is largely based on tube length, these are actually outputting ~35W (measured) at the bed after some minimal loses for the mirrors / lens etc. Very impressive compared to the diodes as the wavelength is also absorbed much better.

Replace the pump and install a suitable flow switch connected to the interlock (door switch circuit), that way if the water flow ever fails the laser will be protected. It's worth the effort.

Demineralized (also called deionized or just DI) water is ideal. If you get a large sized CPU cooler you can convert it to a closed system, just add a few drops of clear antifreeze (used to prevent algae growth). It will prevent any air entering the system which is the biggest killer of tubes, you don't want ANY bubbles in the tube as they collect around the mirrors causing localized hot spots that destroy them.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story, enjoy!

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
I did check the tube for bubbles and there was a stubborn one I had to tilt the whole machine to get rid of it.
I have plans for a lot of upgrades, air assist will be one for the first.
Right now I cant get it to install in windows7, the drivers I have dont work...
Thanks for the info on deionized water, I was worried it would corrode the metal in the tube..
I will keep at it
=)
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
So after getting the software and windows driver working these are the first burns I have been able to do. They are with the default settings but I can't remember what they are...!http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq140/kibodwin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170810_073850_zpsyqrk7oek.jpg
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq140/kibodwin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170810_073901_zpsbn0bos3r.jpg
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq140/kibodwin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170810_073908_zps5ljjobg9.jpg
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq140/kibodwin/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170810_073922_zpsfinctoqv.jpg

Sorry if the links don't work, I did this on my phone....
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »
ok, so I am now lasering away but I have a few questions..
I am using laserdrw for now as it seems simple enough. Anyone know how to increase the size of the laserable area? As it stands I can only use a 5cm X 5cm area in laserdrw. I have not tried coreldraw yet.
Air assist, do I get an aquarium pump (if so which psi?) or use my shop air compressor?
I think the K40 I have can do PWM but am unsure. Assuming it can ( and therefore wary the intensity of the beam) what do I set the laser power knob to when lasering? The max power I need it at? (ie, if I want to engrave the knob will be set at a lower setting than if I want to cut...).
Any idea how to add lights and fans? Do I add a new power rail and avoid using the lasers own PSU?
I am also curious as to whether I could replace the nano M2 board I have with the one in the banggood 2.5W laser diode, how would I control the laser firing?
=)
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »
I found this;
http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com/ManualsTutorials.html
which has lots of links to manuals and how to's based on the type of controller you have.
I now need to figure out what my controller is called (I thought it was the nano m2 but I am not so sure now)!
=)
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560