Author Topic: T2 Laser Cutting an outline  (Read 202 times)

keetonr

• View Profile
T2 Laser Cutting an outline
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
I have designed this image as a souvenir for the upcoming eclipse. I am wanting to cut it out around the outline. I have been doing it by hand so far but can I do it with t2 laser?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: T2 Laser Cutting an outline
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
Tell us more?
How thick is the wood?
What kind of wood?
What are you laser specs?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:44:01 AM »
Really cool design and a great idea!

Well providing the material can be cut by your laser, then yes it's simple to contour cut an image with T2Laser.

Load the image and setup as normal, be sure to select the correct vector feed rate for the cut and use multi-pass if necessary, then enable Sketch Plus which allows you to add vector to the raster image.

Click the Trace Image icon and select just to the outside of the design, a red line will appear, then click the trace icon again and the file will be generated.

That's all there is to it, it will engrave the image and then cut the outline.

keetonr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »
Thanks. I never would have found that feature by myself. I have been using 5mm plywood, but I will probably need something thinner if I cut them out using the laser. The laser I have is a 3w 55x60 cm.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
3mm seems to be the sweet spot for thickness that our lasers can cut without a z axis
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

keetonr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
@ZAX I was working on this design today getting ready to laser it and test cutting it out when my hard drive on my laptop crashed. I have bought a new laptop, but I was wondering if there was a way I could reinstall t2 laser without paying for it again? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:34:23 AM »
Send me an e-mail or PM with your registered e-mail address and I will provide details.

keetonr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
I got the outline to work, but I could not get it to work while using greyscale. Is there a way to cut the outline and engrave the greyscale? Also, I am making a lot of these so I have the same file, but with six images so I can cut them faster without me constantly hitting start. When I try to trace the outline for all six I get an error code saying a generic error occured in GDI+ or out of memory. I the g-code over loading the program or is there a way it can be done?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
if you can read gcode a bit, you could take the engraving gcode and add the cutting gcode to it as a combined file. you would have to "home" the laser in between the files.

Oh....the possibilities

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:04:08 AM »
That's exactly what Sketch Plus does for you, it raster engraves the grey scale and then it cuts the outline. If you want the opposite you'll have to do what ThothLoki suggested and combine the output using a text editor (notepad would work). There's no need to understand it as the output is already returning home, just copy paste it to join them.

If you want to make multiples that's going to be more complicated and result in a G-code file that's probably too large.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »
The best way to do an array of 6 would be to generate a single image and either trace or use a separate DXF for the cut out.

I would be more than happy to help with this, just e-mail me the image and sizes etc.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
Zax, you amaze me. There are so many things that I have yet to figure out in T2. I would say I will learn it all someday, but by the time I learn what you have now, there will be a whole mess of additions to learn.  ::)

As always, you keep making our lives easier. Thank you for that

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
Here's the result, low resolution but you get the idea.

The red is the vector outline (contour cut out) added using Sketch Plus to the vector engraving.

The G-code has the engraving first and then the vector, it isn't exactly the 2 files combined but it's close, I do just a little magic to prevent unnecessary moves between the 2 files but you can manually join them to get similar results.

keetonr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
I was able to get a file with four images. I am using 3mm laser grade plywood. What speed and how many times should it take to cut it out?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
I was able to get a file with four images. I am using 3mm laser grade plywood. What speed and how many times should it take to cut it out?

What laser do you have?