Author Topic: Cutting Felt  (Read 754 times)

LaserJack

Cutting Felt
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »
Does anyone have experience cutting 3 to 6mm thick felt using T2 and a 2.5W laser?
I need to cut out felt shapes. Here is a pic of my project:

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Cutting Felt
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »
Felt is a description of the manufacturing process (matted fibers), not what the material is made from. The better quality felt is made from natural fibers, and the cheaper felt is synthetic. Often polyester, which is petroleum based or Rayon which is a wood pulp product. Some are a blend which is much more difficult to cut.

I did a lot of testing with different felts and expected the natural fibers to work best but actually the opposite was true. The cheapest polyester felt cuts much cleaner.

Natural cotton and wool felt needs multiple passes and even then some fibers won't cut, but the cheap polyester cuts in a single pass although I typically use a second clean up pass to remove stray fibers and seal the edge. The only problem is it shrinks slightly from the heat so the size is slightly smaller than expected.

I can cut any color on my CO2 but the diode laser is much more picky at which colors cut well or hardly at all (white for example).

Felt and PVA foam (foamies) are some of the easiest materials to cut as they don't burn and give off minimal fumes.

Moonie

• View Profile
Re: Cutting Felt
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
In south africa it is bloody cold at the moment !
Sharks with frikken laser beams !