Author Topic: Burr bits  (Read 555 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Burr bits
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
These are great ! Well worth it, I have used them to cut into a coin (australian 50c piece) and also aluminium with no sign of wear or degradation of the tool. Also very useful in the dremel .. I have used them to carve up 3D printed plastic like a demon.
They vibrate much less than milling bits and are far more suitable for these CNC machines than milling bits. They remove a fine powder of metal, don't expect chips.

They are a 3.00mm shaft but I just tried one in the standard 3.15mm collet and it does grip, feels like about the limit of the 3.15mm collet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-10pcs-1-8-Tungsten-Carbide-Burr-3mm-Rotary-Cutter-files-Set-CNC-Engraving-bit/32660288300.html
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Burr bits
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
Keep meaning to update this but forget ..

One of these burrs snagged in my dreml and the dremel collet managed to gouge oart of the shank, later, another one I was a bit rough with using it in a dremel on a steel hole, bent the shank.

So the burrs themselves are great, tough as nails, the shanks though are made from low quality chinesium alloy.
Just need to play nice with them.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
Re: Burr bits
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »
I have used the Dremel bits and have had decent luck with them! They use the 1/8" (3.17mm) shank. The bit breaks off well before the shaft can bend. They have to be used pretty rough to break them.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA