Author Topic: Milling bits  (Read 490 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Milling bits
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
These are decent quality and cheap for the price, each one in its own nice plastic box with text in english for the size that is totally readable with a magnifying glass..
I have only used the 3mm and 6mm so far, I tried the 6mm on aluminium and it was horrid, spindle speed is too slow and forces too great, wood though like MDF .. turns it into dust quite happily.
6mm shaft on all.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-set-4-Flute-End-Mill-Set-HSS-Straight-Shank-Milling-Cutter-Router-Bit-Set-CNC/32803179318.html
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
Re: Milling bits
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
My guess it is not so much the RPM available, it is the torque. That is a pretty small motor on your MiniCNC. My CNC max is only 2800rpm. But it is a 1/2 horse power motor belt driving the spindle. It eats Aluminum at 1000rpm with 2 or 4 flute bits at 1/4" (6.35mm) better finishes at higher rpm.

I have had some pretty spectacular fails on this machine! I mis-entered a Z depth and in a split second it drilled an end mill through 3/8" of 6061 in a short second. I meant to enter.030, instead entered .300. Z was set at 20" a minute. It ground down into the work, ripped it loose from the 3 jaw I was using on a 4th axis and flung the piece across the room with a big bang. It did not bend or break the 1/4" 4 flute end mill. It did knock the whole machine out of tram (square)! Learned to double or even triple check immediate mode commands!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
ouch !

any chance of a picture or two of the machine ?
I have a better quality spindle motor in my shopping cart but will not pull the trigger unless I can improve the Z axis.

That is what I meant by learning with these little machines, I have already learnt to double and triple check things like that :) A habit that could save a lot of money on a larger machine.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »
This is a newer version of what I have: Mine is about 3 years old now;

http://sherline.com/product/86008601-ultimate-cnc-machine-shop-pkg/

I have updated the software some from EMC2 to LinuxCNC. They still have the older "Lucid" Linux on the newest machines. I think I am up to "Maverick". I also have added a few goodies, Like an extended headstock adapter on the mill and a quick change toll post on the Lathe!

Another trick I use is what I call a "fly over", I run the program well above the work to spot bad movements and make sure it is using the proper cutting direction! This is actually where I think a laser through my spindle would be nice. burn the paths without comp on (comment out compensation code).
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
Ah i see, nice stuff,  I guess there is nothing stopping you from buying a cheap grbl controller with stepper drivers and simply plug the motors into it if you ever wanted to try out some other software .. its not destroying anything :)

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver