Author Topic: Order of lines in dxf  (Read 693 times)

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Order of lines in dxf
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
So I have noticed that if I create a dxf in qcad that the order in which T2 engraves the lines is based on the order in which the lines were created. For a near amateur (less than) this is annoying. It also can be very inefficient, the gcode is all over the place rather than a efficient order.

Question:

Is there a way to order the engraving so that that dxf file engraves in a efficient order? I am using qcad. 

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Order of lines in dxf
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
You control the order in which you want to burn your drawing objects inside your CAM software.

Therefore, it should not matter in which order you create your objects in your CAD program.

And in fact, that model frees you to focus on your drawing objects without having to worry about their order of creation. I'm sure T2 allows you to control your burning order.

The bottom line here is that you should not have to control this in your CAD program.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
You control the order in which you want to burn your drawing objects inside your CAM software.

Therefore, it should not matter in which order you create your objects in your CAD program.

And in fact, that model frees you to focus on your drawing objects without having to worry about their order of creation. I'm sure T2 allows you to control your burning order.

The bottom line here is that you should not have to control this in your CAD program.

Controlling the order of the lines/shapes, is why I like BCL.

But yes, my experience with qcad is the order that the lines/shapes were created determines the order that the lines/shapes are engraved.  This becomes super inconvenient with copy/paste. As the first line in a shape is always the first line, and thus the first line is repeated for every copy/paste. The engraving will engrave every first line, then every second, and so forth; instead of complete a shape, then move to the next copy/past shape.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:54 AM »
There are several ways to control the sequence in T2Laser, but the best and easiest is to simply use the DXF Optimizer.

It will analyze the DXF and based on your start point determine the fastest sequence to cut the job. There are settings to allow it to change the segment and/or path directions, use the DXF colors to determine the sequence etc.