Author Topic: Printing frame parts with Carbon Fiber  (Read 236 times)

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Printing frame parts with Carbon Fiber
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
While at a three-day show last weekend, I ran my laser engraver with BCL and my 3D printer making give away trinkets. I watched these other two Prusa printers with plastic frames run and do a fairly decent job as long as the tables they were on were not bumped. Then the flexible plastic frames would move a bit.

It struck me that printing those bits in carbon fiber would make the printers as stiff as if they were made of metal. That led to the thought that we could cut the flexibility of our laser frames by replacing the plastic feet and trucks with carbon fiber-printed parts. I have printed parts with carbon fiber and they are very light and very stiff.

PLA with carbon fiber is a bit brittle so I think I'll try PETG with carbon fiber like this at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CarbonX-Printing-Filament-3DXTECH-diameter/dp/B015LXKW76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504024197&sr=8-1&keywords=CARBONX%E2%84%A2+CARBON+FIBER+PETG+3D+PRINTING+FILAMENT
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Printing frame parts with Carbon Fiber
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
Make sure you have a hardened nozzle or a replacement as the CF wears out the brass ones quickly.