Author Topic: Tight Wheels  (Read 1694 times)

Maverick

• View Profile
Tight Wheels
« on: September 03, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
Any advice on what to do if the wheels on the X axis are tight? both the Y axis rigs seem ok, but if this rig on the X axis sits too long (over night) the wheels develop a flat spot and it has a noticeable bump as it moves along the axis.

Cheers,

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Tight Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
You may need to open up the holes or better yet install nottingham82's excellent adjustable mechanism.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2482004

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Would you know anyone with a 3D printer willing to make and send to NZ with payment of course ? Not sure I could find anyone in NZ with a 3D printer

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
There are definitely some Aussie's on here with printers that may be able to help, if not you can find someone locally.

https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint/New-Zealand

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
Thank you Zax, I wasn't aware of such a hub for 3D printing, that is very awesome !

cbovbjerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
Hi Maverick

I had the same issue with my device. The fit requires the screws to flex a certain amount, and that amount is determined by the length between the two acrylic plates. My solution was to add a metallic washer on each side of the wheels. This increases the distance between the acrylic plates, and the long screws should not extend beyond the nut once you assemble everything.

I hope my explanation made sense. It worked on my device. The x axis is still a bit more tight than the two Y axis, but it moves nicely now.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
maverick asked me if the adjustable wheels would work on the y axis.  The short answer is no.  they could work on the underside but only if you lengthened the legs or propped it up so the adjusters would fit underneath the machine. On top of the rail for the y axis it would interfere with the belts. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Any advice on what to do if the wheels on the X axis are tight? both the Y axis rigs seem ok, but if this rig on the X axis sits too long (over night) the wheels develop a flat spot and it has a noticeable bump as it moves along the axis.

Cheers,

Absent access to a 3D printer or cnc mill, what Zax said is what most if us have done. Elongate the holes - as delivered it should (mine were not) be about a 5mm circle. Elonggate the circle - vertically - to make it an oval.

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »
A manual mill or even a hacksaw, a file and a drill press will work to make aluminum plates for this purpose. Just mark the hole locations carefully. You could use the original plastic part to mark their locations and then make slots instead of holes.

Do check to make certain the aluminum plate is flat or it will cause problems. Tooling plate is the best as it is ground flat (you can tell this plate because it is covered with a  plastic sheet on both sides).  http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIC-6-CAST-TOOLING-ALUMINUM-PLATE-1pc-x-0-250-x-10-x-10-/202020556707 is an example. Might be able to get away with 3/16" thick plate but 1/4" (~6mm) would be better.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
Enlarge the lower holes and use eccentric spacers. Available from openbuilds.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
Another solution is not to have all the bushes supertight, I backed mine off a 1/4 turn (if that) on the head end of the bolt and it helps a great deal.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
I prefer my solution  8)

Although I did consider each of the options suggested here.  They would all solve the problem.  Different solutions for different mental institutions  :o 
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
Thanks heaps for all the suggestions and help, I went with the added 3d part, as to not damage the original assembly of the parts. and it works PERFECT for the new black wheels.
Thank you Nottingham for the file, and thanks to Zax for pointing me in the right direction !!
I'll have test burns to show over the weekend !

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »
Nice! Did you get them made out of ABS?

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »
I ended up using polycarbonate, has better material properties. I did a material science paper last semester so now have a better understanding of mechanical and chemical properties of some materials. I also rebuilt the frame with a square and level its all. Belts aren't crazy tight but is working perfectly.

Tried my first cuts on 3mm balsa wood, clean through on 2 passes at rate 500. Love it

Also as a side note, I mounted your brackets under the X axis, belt & stepper motor on top, and I now don't loose the 15mm of travel each side. The brackets clear the top of the Y axis at either side just fine. I see it as a Win win.

Now I tried the test gray scale file in T2, but it didnt change lightness, what setting do I need to have to achieve the different shades of engraving ?