Author Topic: GRBL v1.1f on mac with EleksLaser A3  (Read 662 times)

m-Kresol

• View Profile
Re: GRBL v1.1f on mac with EleksLaser A3
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
I finally got it working!

So, I tried several things, but nothing was doing the trick: D11 (engaging and PWM pin for the laser) was always low, but I could toggle it on and off with a simple line of code (see above). Thus, I knew that there was only a software bug hidden somewhere in the grbl code.

Zax indirectly led me to the solution with a reply on the elekslaser forum that I didn't see right away. Thanks! He mentioned that I should use M03 command to turn the laser on and S... to adjust the power. In grbl it's up to 255 and in the elekslaser firmware up to 1000. So, I thought I should give the elekslaser firmware another go (when I tried it first, I wasn't aware of the M03 command). After flashing the arduino and typing M03 S1000 very slowly for rising tension, the laser came to life. Oh, what bliss!  Now I just hope my fire alarm doesn't go off ;)

So the trick is to use the elekslaser firmware (basically an altered version of grbl 0.9i. I was trying to use 1.1f since it has a specific laser mode) and then you can use the universal gcode sender. if anyone on mac/linux is wondering. the code to flash the .hex to the arduino is:

Code: [Select]
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.wchusbserial1410 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/Applications/ManaSE_v3.7.hex:i

MAKE SURE TO ADJUST THE FILE PATHS!

Another thing, which is already included in the ManaSE firmware: the steps/mm for x and y axis is 80!

Now I just need to find a good way to generate gcode from png picture files. I usually use gimp to design my graphics. there are plugins for inkscape, but the one I used for trials only does outline, but I need full area too. any recommendations?

Also, if anyone knows where the culprit code in the grbl 1.1f is, I'd be happy for any advice. The manaSE firmware is supplied as a hex, so no way to find out the differences.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
You can use one of my pre-compiled Grbl 1.1e or f versions, they are included with T2Laser.

There are several options depending on what home switches or other stuff you want, like laser PWM frequency etc.

m-Kresol

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
You can use one of my pre-compiled Grbl 1.1e or f versions, they are included with T2Laser.

There are several options depending on what home switches or other stuff you want, like laser PWM frequency etc.

Could you point me towards the .hex please? I could only find an exe file of t2laser, which I cannot access. thanks

I have to check the software that thothloki linked. I only need a very basic program, no fancy things. I intend to engrave black and white only pics, so I don't need greyscale options and so forth. any recommendations are appreciated

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
That's probably the installer, the files will be .hex once they are extracted.

Check the firmware section on this forum, or PM me your email address and the firmware you need and I will send it.