Author Topic: identifying the arduino board /  (Read 1469 times)

doff

• View Profile
identifying the arduino board /
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
Hello,

I've bought a laser engraver some months ago, and finally found time to play with it.
It works fine with the benbox software, but I had some questions :

Currently, it seems that in the benbox software, setting for laser to "11" is fine, and is linked to the pin n11 of the arduino nano.

I'd like to use this with the GRBL (to try) instead of the benbox arduino code, but I was not able to find out which type of board is used for the arduino + 2 stepper driver (they look like A4988).
I've attached 2 pictures (up side & down side).
Would you be able to help me ?

Is there any way to find out the current wiring of the arduino and the stepper drivers, with the laser wiring ?
Additionnaly, I have a laser head with PWM on the driver, but there is no wire between the arduino board and the laser head. Can I use this PWM functionality ?

I've also attached a 3rd picture of the laser driver, on the laser itself.

Thanks

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: identifying the arduino board /
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
That looks like a laseraxe controller to me.

I suggest you get a ManaSE board.  It supports pwm/ttl natively without the need for soldering
https://m.banggood.com/2-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015557.html?rmmds=search

You will need to play around with a cable though to match up to your laser driver
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
You could solder the TTL/PWM wire to the D11 output on your existing board, or get a Mana SE to replace it with.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »
Ive seen these boards with the optional 5v or 12v laser out.  Do you think you could switch that jumper, plug the 2 wire ttl plug into the laser spot on the board, and then plug a 12v power supply into the laser?
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
I doubt the buck converter would switch fast enough, it would likely just overheat.

doff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:52:18 AM »
You could solder the TTL/PWM wire to the D11 output on your existing board, or get a Mana SE to replace it with.

Thanks Zax, I didn't think about that. Good point.
Before this, I'll try to monitor what's going on on pin 11 with an portable oscillo (I've got a velleman one).
For the moment, I guess the flickering laser beam is just done with powering it on/off quickly.
I'll keep you posted.
Doff

doff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:57:17 AM »
Ive seen these boards with the optional 5v or 12v laser out.  Do you think you could switch that jumper, plug the 2 wire ttl plug into the laser spot on the board, and then plug a 12v power supply into the laser?

Mmm, yep. I have external extra power supplies ;)
Curently, the optional switch is on the 12v setting.
If I understand correctly, you mean : pluging the actual laser cable into the PWM plug, disconnect the 5v/12v switch to feed the laser head with an external power supply, right ?

I'm a bit frustrated to find nothing on this laser driver, this SW-LD45 v1.1 :(
I'll check the opposite side of this board, removing the screws, to see if anything is written.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »
Power would come directly from the supply, and you would get the TTL + input to the laser board from the D11 pin on the Nano. You may need to connect the GND from the Nano to the TTL - (or laser GND, I can't see what it's marked on your picture).

doff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:04 AM »
I've made some better pictures.
I'll try :
- external alim on DC12v socket
- Arduino pin 11 <-> + on PMW/TTL socket

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:58 AM »
Yes, that's correct. If you are using 2 power supplies it may also be necessary to connect TTL/PWM - to the GND on Nano.

doff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
Yes, that's correct. If you are using 2 power supplies it may also be necessary to connect TTL/PWM - to the GND on Nano.

Indeed, for sure, I'll link the GND of all the power supplies :)

doff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Power would come directly from the supply, and you would get the TTL + input to the laser board from the D11 pin on the Nano. You may need to connect the GND from the Nano to the TTL - (or laser GND, I can't see what it's marked on your picture).

I had an idea this morning, waking up :o
I've read that between GRBL 0.9 and GRBL 1.1, there was a change which made laser PMW switch from pin 11 to 12.
If this is correct and, as I'd like to use GRBL/gCode/inkscape instead of benbox chinese software, I could use an extra power supply for the laser part, and link the PPM socket to pin 12 instead of pin 11 ? am I right ?

I hope I'll have some time this week-end to test this :)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 04:09:25 AM »
You have it backwards, D11 is the PWM pin and D12 is a digital only so now used for a limit switch.