Author Topic: Benbox laser pauses intermittently with laser on as it burns.  (Read 385 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Benbox laser pauses intermittently with laser on as it burns.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
From the looks of the burn I suspect you do not have laser mode enabled. Do a google search for grbl 1.1 configuration. There are approximately 20 items that you can modify.

The typical stepper motor driver has an adjustable current limit. I forget the formular but you read the voltage on  the case of the pot. For single motors I usually set it at 0.5V. For my core-xy (2 motors do the work of 3) I set them at 0.9V.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

JürgenH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
It also works flawlessly, but it sometimes stops. I should still mention that he also sometimes stops without the laser turned on. It's like he's stuck in the process. If I'm lucky, the laser is off, if not it burns a small hole

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
grbl was written to support mechanical milling machines. As such when it comes to a corner it will leave the spindle turned on as it does not hurt anything and is ready for the next motion. Our lasers use the spindle speed as laser power. As such, when we come to a corner, the machine slows downs (or halts) but the laser is still on. This result is a stronger burn.

The mechanical milling machines usually have a large mass for the spindle assembly. To support starting and stopping grbl incorporates acceleration. Leavinmg the laser powered on while running slowly results in a darker burn.

For my personal use, I modified the grbl-9 firmware to remove the acceleration and got better burns.

grbl-1 added a mode (laser) to:

1. Turn the laser OFF when the head is stopped
2. Reduce the laser power when running acceleration profiles.

It is necessary for YOU to enable laser mode on your fixture. The default is off. I think the command to enable is

$32=1

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

JürgenH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 08:11:38 AM »
OK thanks ! Now all I have to do is find out where and how to do it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »
You will need to use different software as Benbox doesn't support other firmware.

T2Laser includes 0.9 and 1.1 firmware that is already setup for different machines and options, so you don't need to learn how to edit and compile Grbl yourself. The default firmware is Grbl 1.1e, with laser mode and optional home switches. It also has the correct parameters for most systems so you can install it and begin work.

JürgenH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
ok, I hope the test version has enough features unlocked. I would like to try it before paying

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Everything is unlocked. There is just a time limit that restarts each time you open it. And a file size limit. So you can do small projects that last less than 30 minutes
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

JürgenH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:06 AM »
the first attempts are working.
can I switch to pulsating burning (discrete) at T2 laser?
with small writings, the quality is better with benxbox.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
I will have to test it, but in theory if you disable laser mode (the option is in the menu) it will pause for each pixel. There are a couple of other ways to do this too, but none are by design. I am not sure why you would get better results unless the machine has some mechanical issue or you are using too high a feed rate.