Author Topic: 2mm black Delrin, is it safe?  (Read 1845 times)

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
2mm black Delrin, is it safe?
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
I was wondering if it is safe or possible to cut 2mm Delrin with ours lasers. I have a few ideas and it's a great material.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: 2mm black Delrin, is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
I was wondering if it is safe or possible to cut 2mm Delrin with ours lasers. I have a few ideas and it's a great material.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?gws_rd=ssl#q=universal+laser+cutting+delrin
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
The question was directly pertaining to our type of lasers. I belive it to be safe, however it may act differently on our low powered lasers. Also will our lasers cut it.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Well I ordered some to test. If i understand correctly that the fumes can cause eye irritation and I will cut test outdoors. I will post my results here later this week when it arrives.

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »
So, if we never see any more posts from you we will assume its toxic.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
The only reason I can see Delrin acting differently on these lowish powered lasers is due to the  (cutting) power/thickness of material..
The fumes whether toxic or otherwise will be present whatever laser power is used.  Delrin seems safe

http://fablabdevon.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Laser_Safe_Materials1.pdf

I have added the above to the  What Can Be Cut section on the index.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:21:10 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 01:44:53 AM »
The only reason I can see Delrin acting differently on these lowish powered lasers is due to the  (cutting) power/thickness of material..
The fumes whether toxic or otherwise will be present whatever laser power is used.  Delrin seems safe

http://fablabdevon.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Laser_Safe_Materials1.pdf

I have added the above to the  What Can Be Cut section on the index.

Nice list thanks for sharing.

That is my worry as well. But I am feeling hopeful. At least we will know for sure.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »
It should be noted that a lot of materials that are TOXIC  are cut by professionals because they have a TOTALLY ENCLOSED laser machines with top quality filtration that costs very nearly as much as the laser machine.....

I'll stick to LaserPly!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:54:59 AM by ROSS »

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:46:04 AM »
Delrin is considered laser safe providing you have adequate ventilation.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
So I almost had a successful cut today. However I will say I think it is possible but I think what it will take is multiple passes with cool down periods between passes. If too many passes are made too quickly it melts back together. J-tech posted a blog post a while ago about cutting abs with a 2.8 watt laser and they did something around 25 passes at 150 mm per minute. I assume I will need to do something about the same but with cool down periods.

I did burn a whole through a piece, albeit accidentally. So I know it is possible.

jlauzon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
So, if we never see any more posts from you we will assume its toxic.

;D