Author Topic: Fire extinguishers.  (Read 810 times)

kibodwin

• View Profile
Fire extinguishers.
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:04 AM »
Whilst I am far from being an expert in these matters, I would like to remind users of this forum that these lasers will set fire to some of the materials they put under them (obviously stone will not burn but pancakes will!).
I personally have a Co2 fire extinguisher (a grey top to the extinguisher, also way heavier than the other types) handy for any electrical fires but this is not to be used for paper / cardboard fires (as the pressure will blow the embers around, spreading the fire) but do use a water foam (in Europe (mostly) a blue bottom or blue handle). These ‘blue’ water foam fire extinguishers will put out most non electrical or grease fires (and most of the stock we use under our lasers). These ‘blue’ water foam extinguishers are also useful preventively, if you ever spill oil / grease / petrol you can cover these flammables with the foam water to prevent a fire.
To use, pull the pin horizontally (they can be quite hard to remove, especially with gloves), stand around 4 to 5 meters from the fire and aim at the base of the flames. Keep going until there is no more smoke or embers. Then give it a bit more to make sure. Be sure to also hose down anything flammable nearby to prevent the fire spreading.
Understand that once you start putting out the fire you will get steam and smoke, more than when the fire is burning, so make sure you have a safe exit as visibility will decrease drastically, especially in smaller rooms, it will also be more difficult to breath.
Of course, the faster you interact with the fire then less time and energy you need to put it out. I also have a 1 litre of water in a bottle beside the laser as well as a spray bottle of water to catch those little fires just starting, I also have the laser in an enclosure limiting smoke propagation. Turn off any air assist / fume extractors. These will allow me to put out any fire quickly, limiting the damage done (and saving my precious laser).
Always protect yourself first, you can always buy a new laser, eyes / lungs are more difficult to replace.
Try not to leave these machines running without supervision, if you must try use smoke / flame sensors. I use some connected up to an Arduino and I also have a webcam looking in on the engraving if I am not in the same room.
Most of all, be safe.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Fire extinguishers.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:23:25 AM »
Here here!!! I work for a fire alarm/fire suppression company and have had the "opportunity" to see cases where the fire department was called.

Personally, I have a 3D printer on the left of my work bench and the laser engraver to the right of it. I have 3 fire extinguishers...one standard sized extinguisher (5 pounder) on each end and a small (2 pounder) hanging on a leg in the middle. That way, no matter which way I go, I always have one.

I even found a guy who made an attachment for his 3D printer for one of these: http://stovetopfirestop.com/

When on a long print, I take the webcam from my 3D printer and just move it over to the laser if I have to walk away for a few minutes. That way I can still log into Octopi and see whats going on. Maybe another addon for T2?????? :D

Outside of lasers, most people overlook fire extinguishers in their house. Most have one under the sink in the kitchen. As I get them for the right price (free), I have on located in EVERY closet of the house, one in the kitchen, mechanical room and laundry room.  While that may be overkill, I have the mindset that if I were to need one I always have one available. Fire extinguishers are to save your life, not to save a house. Look around your house and ask yourself that if a fire started, would you be trapped? If so, put a fire extinguisher there. They are a small cost to potentially save your life.

To echo kibodwin's statmenet "Most of all, be safe."
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: Fire extinguishers.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »
ThothLoki, excellent link to the firestop things, they look ideal not only for the 3D printers but also for the lasers. I personally am more worried about fires starting from the lasers than the 3D printers but both are a risk. The fumes off the burning of the 3D printer plastics would be my main worry there.
Thanks for sharing.
I plan to hire the extinguishers I need to put on all my wooden stairs, these stairs are the only way out from the floors so this I think is quite important. Water foam ones here.
I cannot also insist enough on the need for fire alarms, the cost really outweigh the risks. I have normal ones all over the place (S.O. hates the one in the kitchen!!) but I also have a carbon monoxide one in the garage.
As annoying as it might be think of the worst case scenario and plan accordingly.
Ikea even sells the detectors and extinguishers (powder) so getting your hands on one is not that difficult.
If you think the use of safety goggles for the lasers is important to save your eyeballs then you should also look into fire suppression.
Be safe.
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps