Author Topic: When does the Laser start to Engrave  (Read 1706 times)

SteveS

• View Profile
When does the Laser start to Engrave
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
I have an Elksmaker A3 2.5amp laser, after giving up trying to use Benbox laser I installed the trial version of T2 Laser. I updated the Grbl firmware, loaded a clipart image, set and checked X,Y axis and tested laser on/off. I generated the G code for the project - 1000 lines burn time of 1min 30 secs. I get the "updating" at the bottom of the G Code, but how do I start to burn the project, I can see an emergency stop button but no "Start" button....how to I get it going?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: When does the Laser start to Engrave
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
The send envelope, next to the stop.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
The button to the left of the "STOP" button that looks like a letter or email is the "SEND" button.

When the burn is going on, you can let click that button to pause. It will not stop right away because it has to flush the buffer in the controller.
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
I think I found the problem....the trial version only allows 1000 lines of G Code and 15 minutes time...the videos instructional videos on show 30 min time and enough lines of G Code to do some clip art - the only images you can use in the trial are in the samples...very basic.

I figured this out now I have a problem in that the Laser won't power up enough to even burn paper.....I am beginning to grow tired of this whole laser cutting process, a Chinese Laser (ElksMaker) that has no English assembly or setup instructions, software that doesn't work(BenBox) and third party software (T2) that also has poor setup instructions and user guide and now very limited trial functions. I refuse to pay for registration if I can't even get the trial to work.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »
I agree with your assessment of the laser hardware but not the quality or licence  agreements and restrictions of T2. I personally use Linux 99% of the time and wrote my own etch/burn application. There are other tools available for gcode generation and laser control.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
I think I found the problem....the trial version only allows 1000 lines of G Code and 15 minutes time...the videos instructional videos on show 30 min time and enough lines of G Code to do some clip art - the only images you can use in the trial are in the samples...very basic.

I figured this out now I have a problem in that the Laser won't power up enough to even burn paper.....I am beginning to grow tired of this whole laser cutting process, a Chinese Laser (ElksMaker) that has no English assembly or setup instructions, software that doesn't work(BenBox) and third party software (T2) that also has poor setup instructions and user guide and now very limited trial functions. I refuse to pay for registration if I can't even get the trial to work.

I would not pay for a program that does not work for me either, but it sounds like a hardware issue more that a software one. Zax has put a LOT of time into T2 and I know he listens to his users on improvements to the software. When I bought it, the instructions and videos were spot on, but with all of the additions and improvements to the software, It is hard to keep up with documents. That is true for even huge companies like Microsoft. From what I can tell, Zax is a one man operation. This forum  has become the "help desk" for programs like T2 Laser and BCL. Some of us even have videos on how to install/use T2 (like Nottingham82) that help others.

These machines are for people who tinker. If you are looking for something that works out of the box with some sort of quality control, go buy an Epilog or other name brand laser machine. These are inexpensive diode laser machines that require some know how for assembly, some patience (a lot actually) and perseverance.

As I said before, Zax has put a LOT of time into T2. He should be paid for it. I believe a gcode and time limit for a trial version is acceptable. It allows you to TEST the software with no restrictions to any of the settings available in T2. You can't very well expect him to give you a 30 day trial unlimited. All you would have to do it uninstall, reinstall and you are good to go for another 30 days. To help, when I was testing, I made the pictures smaller to get more of it instead of just the first few mm.

Please check my reply to your other post http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2668.new.html#new and see if your laser will do some burning. If not, please post the results and we will be happy to help. Please do not blame T2 for something that is most likely a hardware issue.
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:54 AM »
@SteveS The trial is designed to allow a user to test their machine is compatible before purchase, I don't want anyone to buy it until they have proven to themselves that it runs their machine and is suitable for their needs.

You can send small images (it's actually 10,000 lines of G-code for raster) as well as vector graphics (1,000 lines of G-code) for line engraving or cutting, and test the many features. The time limit is per session and it can be restarted and used over and over again with no limit as long as you like.

If you use T2Laser with my default firmware that is included (Grbl 1.1e) it usually offers people a quick way to get their machine working and as they learn and advance their skills T2Laser has all the advanced features they may need.

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
Thanks ALL for your posts....please dont misunderstand me on T2....I think its great and I will eventually buy it, I was just confused  by the older videos which showed a 30 min time and longer code lines. Back to my issue I have adjusted my burn time from 1000 to 255 in T2, still no burn and now suspect the laser. Is it possible to damage the Laser by continually changing firmware. I waa doing this to try and get it working.

Steve

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 04:40:20 AM »
No, there should be no way to damage the laser module with firmware. The failure you describe in the other thread is unusual and most likely you just have a bad diode.

Sorry about the misleading information, the time was changed from 30 to 15 minutes but the 10,000 line limit has always been the same.