Author Topic: Start from Center issues.  (Read 149 times)

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Start from Center issues.
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

Settings -> Center (Start Point) - did not select absolute

Create image in sketch
Generate gcode

Run Home cycle
jog to coordinates I want be centered on
Set Work Piece Origin,
Send gcode

Result: The laser rams the rails and attempts to go to some coordinate that is 100mm off the SET origin spot.

How do I use HOME cycle, jog to coordinate I want to start at?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Start from Center issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
What size was the job?

If you use center start it would go left and up to get to the beginning point.

When you home the machine it sets machine home to 0,0 and if reset workpiece origin is enabled it will also set that. You can use preset locations to save and jump to an offset position.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »
Thanks Zax.

I created a old english capital C at 14 size

Use the hand and P function to set at X=0.00, Y=14.00

Generate gcode, laser control opens, select View. In view the Orange dot is at 250, 150 - upper right corner. The C is lower left corner.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
This is just frustrating.

Final got a something to SKetch outline/vector from center.  Went back and changed to Sketch fill, generate code, open laser control Veiw, and the orange dot is back at 250, 150.  The only thing that changed was the Sketch Filled. why would that throw off the code by 200mm?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:07:29 PM by laser_cutter »

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
Due to repeated failures of Sketch Fill to start from center, I assume the Sketch Fill, Center Start is not a capability of T2, I would like to be wrong about this.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
so i just looked at that.  It appears sketch filled uses the center of the entire sketch.  Sketch normal uses the center of what is drawn.  So if you use a 300 x 400 sketch the center for sketch filled will be at 150 x 200 no matter what you draw.  If you use regular sketch the center will be the center of your drawing no matter what the dimensions of the sketch are.  Sketch hatch does it the same way sketch does.    sketch plus does center start how sketch filled does.  Im not sure if there was a reason for this or not.

Personally I never use the default sizes in sketch.  I always make my sketch the size of my work piece.  So if I have a 100 x 100 coaster.  I use a 100 x 100 sketch.  That way my sketch matches what I will see exactly.  You can use sketch filled sketch hatch sketch plus or whatever and the center will always be the center.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
Thanks nottingham82 that explains it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:06:25 PM by laser_cutter »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:24:28 AM »
That's correct, because Sketch (Filled) is an image so the white space is still part of the job. You would get the same result if you use Absolute with vector Sketch.

It's the same if you load an image that has a bunch of white space around it, unless you use the crop tool to remove it that is considered when locating center.

buzduganxxl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
Hello,
This is my first post, I find T2laser to be an excellent software, and I want to suggest if possible to include further enhancement inthe future releases, like:
1. In horizontal engaving, regardless where I set the start point, the laser starts engraving from up to down. Sometimes, during the engraving I had problems that forced me to stop the engraving before finish. If I want to continue engravinf to save the image I need to start this time the laser from bottom to up, to engrave the missing part, but I did not found any option to do this, the laser starts always up to down. Same thing with the diagonal engraving (here it always start from down left tu up right). Is it possible to add these options in future releases please? (for example my laser spot is a small rectangle, the laser is glued, I can not turn it, and it is angled at about 30 degrees, I studied the engraves with a small microscope).
2. Could it be possible to change the angle of the diagonal engraving? (like 30, 45, 60 etc)
3. Is it possible to save the dithered image as an image? Or to have some control over the dithering parameters? (for use it for dither egraving with another laser, like a CO2 laser)
4. I used once a free chinese software called Engraver Master (http://123.249.29.246/update/litefire/setup.exe) which makes also ditheres images, but the laser stops at every point of the image before burning it; the quality is very good but it takes hours and hours to finish an image; maby we can have an option il T2laser too.
5. Can we have the possibility to define a profile for gray scale engraving? I can set the minimum and maximum value now but I can not set for a certain level of gray a specific power - it goes liniar and this does not matc well the real output of my laser.
6. I also have a 3d printer and I saw that is possible to use a laser on the fan port with commands to start/stop or set the speed of the fan (it is a creality cr-10). T2laser can output/save gcode, where the power of the laser is a command for fan? - on the 3d printer I have also a z axis - good for cutting in a few passes. If this is already implemented I just do not know how to use it.

Thank you! and I hope that my sugestions could be of any help in the future.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
Welcome buzduganxxl!

1 & 2 both fall in the same category. They are possible but I limit changes to the G-code engine to maintain stability. That is not to say they won't happen, both are good ideas that I have considered but I can't commit to them in the near term.

3. You can save the G-code or drive a compatible CO2 directly (I run my K40 type machine with T2Laser) but I have no plans to save intermediate images.

4. That sounds like a system using non-laser Grbl, where it will pause at each laser on command. It is simple to achieve the same result, disable laser mode. You can also set a spindle delay or simply use a virtual Z-axis to add a momentary pause.

5. Yes, this is in work. Actually the code was written several months ago but during testing I decided to abandon the method. It is possible to change the image "curves" to achieve what you describe but in most cases the lasers are fairly linear, it is the materials which are not and that requires multiple calibrations which is why I decided to change the technique I was using.

6. That would be a post processor, but since there's no "standard" I haven't added one for this yet. Some 3D Printer firmware has a Grbl mode which already works, and T2Laser supports Z-axis already.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.