Author Topic: Won't update firmware on the Nano  (Read 4538 times)

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Won't update firmware on the Nano
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »
I had been using GBRL 0.9j so when I loaded the T2 software I decided to load new firmware on the Nano. I control click on the lightning bolt and it asks if I want to upload the firmware and I say yes. I then get a quick DOS window flash and it say that it failed to upload. No idea what the problem is because it window flashes by so quickly.

Using Xloader I choose Duemilanove/Nano(ATmega328) and can load anything. Is there a place where I can get the firmware that T2 uses so I can load it with Xloader?

Other than that I have been have great luck printing using the GBRL 0.9j firmware.
After learning how to set/tune things I have been very happy with the images that I have burned.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Won't update firmware on the Nano
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=50.msg348#msg348

J-Tech firmware is what I recommend.

The firmware upload in T2Laser works with an Eleks Maker control board with the Nano, are you sure the com port is correctly set before you click to load?

XLoader uses the exact same method to upload firmware, it's a program called AVRDude.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:59:12 PM by Zax »

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=50.msg348#msg348

J-Tech firmware is what I recommend.

The firmware upload in T2Laser works with an Eleks Maker control board with the Nano, are you sure the com port is correctly set before you click to load?

XLoader uses the exact same method to upload firmware, it's a program called AVRDude.

I did think it was strange that one would work and the other didn't. I had 9j loaded and used T2Laser to move things around, then disconnected, and then tried to upload the firmware. I just wish the DOS screen didn't flash off so fast because it could be something as simple as access rights.

I have even built my own version of 9j and have loaded that via the Adruino development environment.

I will give the jtech_grbl.hex a try. On another note for the foam cutting I have upgraded to the latest Inkscape and am using the latest jtech code to generate the g-code. I needed to upgrade to get the M3 command to work now that I was using PWM power levels.

OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:33 PM »
No progress but more info, I am thinking the problem is with the Nano.
On the Jtech web pages they say their firmware will not work with some of
the Nano clones. I used Xloader to load the jtech grbl code but it does not
work. Can't power motors or turn the laser on. I have a coupe of other Nano
clones and neither would load with T2Laser. I'm thinking there is some
difference in the command line to avrdude that lets Xloader load the hex file
but it doesn't really matter if the hex file doesn't work.

Just for kicks I hooked a UNO up to T2Laser just to see what would happen
if I tried to load the firmware into it. The DOS screen stays up for quite a while
until it fails because its the wrong processor. I am going to do some looking because
I think I have another nano compatable processor somewhere that I want to try.
It does not have a USB port and needs an FTDI board, and I just happen to have a bluetooth FTDI board so I would love to get the cutter set up with a wireless connection.

I also ordered an L5 board when I ordered the 2.5W laser a few days ago, so I should have that as well in a few days.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Yes, the command line options to AVRDude are extensive. There are 2 options for Nano's with different protocols, so it is very possible the T2Laser defaults aren't compatible with every combination but I have tested with many different boards and Nano's.

I currently have an Eleks L1, L2 and L6 and so many Nano's I've lost count. Everything from genuine Arduino's with the FTDI chip to the $2 clones that come unassembled.

It will not upload to an Uno, but once you have suitable firmware loaded you can use it just fine. T2Laser only requires a correctly configured Grbl, which includes the Benbox firmware.

I actually use an Uno on my CNC system and drive it with T2Laser just fine.

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
Another interesting find. I loaded LaserInk hex file and that would not work either, but I found the source on git. I downloaded their source and compiled and loaded it myself and it works fine Again not sure why, but I make dwell minimum and took out the buffer flush rebuilt and loaded and its working fine engraving.

So my nano clone does not like something in the hex files that have been created for laser support and the same code works fine if I build it my self. But since I have something working I am not going to play with that that any more until I have another processor.
I found the one that I was looking for but the width of the pins was two large so it wouldn't fit.