Author Topic: Cleaning and staining plywood.  (Read 123 times)

Network23

• View Profile
Cleaning and staining plywood.
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »
 Any suggestions on how to clean plywood after it is engraved. I find sometimes the soot when I touch it will smudge, what is the best way to clean it?   Also what type of stain should I use? Looking for a light color or something protective.  I think I read to avoid oil based.   I know nothing about staining.

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning and staining plywood.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
I have found isopropyl alcohol works well for cleaning soot.  You will also remove some of the contrast if you over clean it.   Depends on the look you are going for.

For stain I just use whatever I can get at the homedepot type stores.  minwax mostly.  If its an outdoors piece you need an outdoor polyurethane clear coat over the stain. Danish oil works well too as a stain and sealer.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

mauriceman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
I do almost all my work on birch plywood. For deep engravings, I rub on a coating of clear polyurethane (Minwax, Zar etc) with a paper towel before engraving. Then I wipe it with a dry paper towel. I just use the regular poly, not the special wipe on stuff. Dries in a day.  It will take a bit more "power" to etch the wood but any staining will easily wipe away. I started with using 91% isopropyl alcohol but now use methanol. Seems to do a little better job removing the stain. Nottingham's correct, don't wipe too hard or you'll remove the "soot" in the deep parts. I then usually apply a brushed light coat of poly or spray-on for delicate stuff. The spray-on seems to take a bit longer to dry.
Retired Industrial Electrician, PLC
500mmX500mm Openbuilds frame
1.6w, 2w, 2.5w laser heads

Network23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.