Author Topic: Printer limitation: Filaments.  (Read 64 times)

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Printer limitation: Filaments.
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »

Have been teasing myself with getting a 3d printer - based on good review here, monoprice select or plus based on price and shipping.

The monoprice mini select printers ABS and PLA, the better models print a variety of materials.

So the question is what limits the material that can be printed? After watching many videos on printers, it seems some printhead are lined with a PTE that potentially melts and clogs the system. I have looked at E3d heads and clones and those heads have a gap and direct cooling.

Is print head temperature the main factor that limits what materials can be printed? 

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Printer limitation: Filaments.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
Yes, the extruder and drive mechanism are the main constraints.

The Maker Select has a PTFE feed tube as well, so they recommend PLA only. You can print with any common filament after doing some upgrades. I suspect the Mini is no different.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Yes, the extruder and drive mechanism are the main constraints.

The Maker Select has a PTFE feed tube as well, so they recommend PLA only. You can print with any common filament after doing some upgrades. I suspect the Mini is no different.

Thanks

from the monoprice website the various are shown to print the following.

The mini select prints at 55mm/sec, with max temp of 446F (230C), and prints at 100microns (most other monoprice models print at this)

But it does seem with a replacement printer head other materials can be printed.

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Do not know the model you're referring to. Generally, I find printers with a 20 * 20 * 20 centimeter building board that are just as small. Have a CR-10 that can take 30 * 30 * 40 centimeters and I have not found an item that it could not take so far.

Forget about ABS there is an outdated matriale nowadays, use PETG instead that costs about the same.

If the printhead can heat up to 270 degrees censius you should be able to print with the most filament available on the market. However, you should probably have another tip if you want to print with something that contains hard matrials such as carbon fiber.

If the building plate can heat up to 100 degrees censius you can do almost anything.

Regards Leif.
Only a new "Wood Smoker"  /;-)