Author Topic: 40 watt $400 lasers  (Read 1850 times)

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
40 watt $400 lasers
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Has anyone actually been able to make one of these work dependably without spending a lot more money and time on them? That is, do they work out of the box after mirror alignment, etc.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Landbo

• View Profile
Re: 40 watt $400 lasers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:50:50 PM »
Has anyone actually been able to make one of these work dependably without spending a lot more money and time on them? That is, do they work out of the box after mirror alignment, etc.

Mine worked without mirror adjustment.    ;)

But the software that's with the machine is something a mad man has thrown aside in anger.

Regards Leif.
Only a new "Wood Smoker"  /;-)

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:28:49 AM »
Mine worked out of the box, but there are a lot of things you SHOULD do for safety.
Add lid switch and flow sensor to make sure its safe to fire the laser, air assist (some
have had fires without it), exhaust fan to get the fumes and smoke out of the work area.
I vent outside after setting off the smoke detectors twice.

It took a while to understand LaserDRW but after I figured it our and using K40 Whisper
inkscape plugin I have not had any problems using it.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »

That is something you really don't want to do. Using a $400.00 K40 'out of the box' without doing safety modifications is extremely risky.

When you're in heaven looking down on your k40 machine, you will surely be saying 'it wasn't worth my life' to skip doing those safety mods and spending the extra money. Remember: those machines are using 110VAC, not 12VDC.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
That is something you really don't want to do. Using a $400.00 K40 'out of the box' without doing safety modifications is extremely risky.

When you're in heaven looking down on your k40 machine, you will surely be saying 'it wasn't worth my life' to skip doing those safety mods and spending the extra money. Remember: those machines are using 110VAC, not 12VDC.

Will you provide a link to the safety mods that should be conducted.

Network23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »
Will you provide a link to the safety mods that should be conducted.

I second this... I 'may' invest in one next month.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
"invest" is not a term I would use but I am also ready to get one and would like to be prepared for what needs to be implemented prior to turning it on.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
>Will you provide a link to the safety mods that should be conducted.

I don't have a K40...but there are LOTS of horror stories on YouTube and other places about the safety problems found on these inexpensive CO2 laser machines.

I think the best way to construct a list of the modifications one needs to do to their k40 machine is for me to create a k40 safety mods category. I'll create the first post and anyone who has a k40 or has an opinion on what to look for and check, etc. can just post in that section.

There are many here on the forum who have mentioned what needs to be done and I'm sure in no time, we'll have a comprehensive mod list.

UPDATE: Here is the new link: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2754.0.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:17:43 PM by Administrator »

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 03:23:34 AM »
I can only agree with what was already said, these machines are interesting and educational (you will learn a lot upgrading them!) but you do need to know what you are getting into. Fume extraction is important especially if using plastics. Whilst I dont have a lock switch (the kids cant get to the machine so...) or a water flow monitor these things will be installed time permitting.
You would need to know if you plan on changing the controller and if so to which one. I am very happy with the Cohesion3D mini (not happy with the import duties!!)
Mine also worked out of the box (what a lucky bunch we are!!) but I did spend a few days making sure the ground connections were all good, the electrical connections were strong and correct and that there was no chaffing on any of the cables. If you think something does not look right it probably isn't. Feel free to ask us here for help, we have been there and are still alive, I think most of us still have all out fingers and even our eyebrows...
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
The main concern is the high voltage (similar to a tube TV), so you want to check the connections from the laser power supply to the tube BEFORE connecting power to make sure everything is tight and also covered with an insulator. It is also important to make sure the chassis is grounded, you can run a wire from the metal case to the earth connection if there is any doubt.

Of course you should have interlocks on the cabinet doors, a key to disable the laser, flow and temperature monitor for the water cooling but these are additional safety measures we don't have on the diode lasers. Common sense is the best safety.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
Can you folks please post those comments in the new K40 Mods section rather than here?

Thanks...

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »
Can you folks please post those comments in the new K40 Mods section rather than here?

Thanks...

I tried to post on that thread, but did not see REPLY option.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
You have to create a new post.