Author Topic: Need a few tips from Nottingham  (Read 1326 times)

patglazz

• 55% of people are caused by accidents
    • View Profile
Need a few tips from Nottingham
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
I noticed on this form and others your slate engraving. Your engraving always looks nice and bright white, whereas mine just looks a dull grey. I've tried various speeds and power settings (including the ones you posted for a similar machine). Do you coat the slate with something before or after you engrave?
Added a few more pics of my work
Pat
Never too old to try something new...
...it just takes you longer to learn it

patglazz

• View Profile
Re: Need a few tips from Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
ps. I scrub the slate clean before burning, the dithered deathstar looks good at a distance but the black and white images appear dirty.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
If you add a coat of clear matte polyurethane, it will pop the color better.

Here are some of the slate pieces I have done using Nottingham's method.
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1954.0.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:20:54 PM by ThothLoki »
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

patglazz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
Thanks Thothloki.
Been using a gloss lacquer which helps a bit (Darth Vader not coated yet) - the fake fossils look good a little dirty, I'm putting that down to the raw roof slate I was using, but I've just bought a pile of processed slate coasters which are nice and smooth but seem to burn more grey - not painted any of those yet so I'll get a good polyurethane first. Dropping the speed down to 900mm/s seems to bring out a brighter burn.
Managed to find a supplier for 10x10 slate coasters with foam feet, here in the UK for 66p (pence) a slate and I can pick up tons of used roof slates locally for free :)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
I etch slate at 900mm/min with full power (255/256) on 2.5W at 90/256 on 5.5W.  Tend to think of etching slate as a series of small explosions and I want to fully pulverize the stone, not just break it loose. I am sure there is 10 kilo stone dust around here somewhere!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:40:04 AM »
I have just tried to engrave a photo on some slate, it also came out grey. I thought washing it might help but not at all.
Can I sand down the slate (it is about 1cm thick) so I get a clean surface to try engraving on again?
Ki.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »
try going slower. That may bring out some more of the white.

Slate is natural. Every piece is going to be a bit different on the color
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
Lol this is my new favorite thread title.

Ok so a couple things about slate.  I originally used 900 as an engraving speed and only used black or white engravings.  As I progressed I noticed that the color was kinda goldish and not quite as white as I wanted.  I experimented with speeds and noticed the lower speeds turned gold and the faster speeds were more white.  I tried different speeds and got a more consistent white color at like 1700 speed.

then I started painting them for a pop of color.  I had to coat them in polyurethane to  protect the paint.  That made the whole piece look wet and really contrast because the black looks blacker.

I have also noticed some pieces just have weird spots where the stone doesnt engrave like it does on other pieces.  This may just be the case with your lot of slate.

I have previously tried alcohol washes to clean the slate but this didnt seem to provide much difference.  I settled on just brushing it with a bristle brush to remove any loose pieces.     
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

pbucc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
As I just started to learn and use these lasers my experience is like a 1%.  But what is do have is tones of experience with natural stone. If you use an enhancer silicone based sealer made for natural stone. This will enhance the colours without making it look wet while not leaving a a film or layer.  Thanks for listening. Just trying to give back.
2500mw A3 eleks maker.
Windows 10.
T2 Laser.
"I'm new to this. Please be gentle"

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
Can you recommend a brand or generic name? And Sir Nottingham is responsible for the slate dust in my basement along with a few other experiments with diode lasers.

pbucc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
The product I used was bought in bulk.  A good company or product is https://www.amazon.com/Tenax-Enhancing-Granite-Sealer-Marble/dp/B0195UZZM8

This would be ideal.  It would last a long time. You don't need much.  Just look for an enhancer sealer that does not leave any type of epoxy surface.  Silcone based is best as it is sucked up by the material.
2500mw A3 eleks maker.
Windows 10.
T2 Laser.
"I'm new to this. Please be gentle"

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
Thanks. I ordered a 250ml can.