Author Topic: Feature Request: Seperate "Last Directory" for import and save.  (Read 1554 times)

danowar

• View Profile
Feature Request: Seperate "Last Directory" for import and save.
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
Zax,

I am using your software for g-code generation, but not for machine control.  I use a Raspberry Pi for machine control, in order to make my machine headless.

When importing images, the software remembers the last directory used, which is a great feature, but then when go to save my g-code, it remember the directory I imported the image from.  Then of course after changing to the directory I keep my g-code in, it remember that directory, so next time I import an image, it defaults to my g-code directory.

Would it be possible to to have the software remember different directories for importing and saving files?

Also, while I have your attention, could you add a button on the machine control panel to export g-code.  I typically bring up this window to preview the code before saving.

Both these issues are only a minor inconvenience, but if the change is trivial, it would make your software all that much better.

Thanks for you time.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Seperate "Last Directory" for import and save.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:16:27 PM »
Can you describe the tools and work flow to utilize the Raspberry Pi scheme?  Been thinking it was time to do the same.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
I am sure danowar will reply but I think he is using Grbl controller

Him and I were talking about trying out octoprint with the Grbl extension. I am going to try and getting it running on a Pi zero w as octopi v0.14 is better than v0.13 (would not work on a zero)
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:04:35 AM »
@danowar Those both sound like good suggestions, added to my list.

Eleks has a new module coming soon which works with the existing Mana board to provide headless operation. It has SD card, LCD and I think either Bluetooth or WiFi connection.

danowar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:36:54 AM »
Thanks Zax, I will keep an eye out for that.

As for my workflow for headless operation, I have tried several methods, listed below.

LaserWeb 4:  Back-end is server running on the RaspberryPi. Front-end can either be in a web browser pointed at the Pi, or and executable version of LaserWeb installed on the client machine.  LaserWeb also can generate G-Code, and it is very feature rich.  IMHO T2 is much better at G-Code generation.  I ultimately moved on from this method due to the software being buggy.

VirtualHere:  This method emulates a COM port on the client PC that tunnels all communication to the COM port on the PI.  I found the communication to not be fast enough, and had stuttering of my machine.  It couldn't keep up with the speed in which the commands need to flow through.  I only tried the free version...they have a version that is optimized for the PI.  I reached out the the developer to ask how much faster the optimized version would be, no response.  I wish this method would work better, as it would let you do machine control through T2.

ChilliPeppr:  Back-end is a small server on the Pi that communicates with the serial port.  Front-end is a website that has custom "workspaces".  I think this method would work very well, the communication seems to be fast enough in my limited testing.  However, there is no "workspace" that I could find that is tailored to our diode lasers.  I toyed with the idea of creating one, but I don't have time right now.

CNCjs:  Kind of a mix between LaserWeb and ChilliPeppr.  Initial testing is promising, but I haven't been using it very long yet.

As ThothLoki said, my next test will be using OctoPi...unless he gets to it before me and reports back.  I have been using OctoPi for 3D Printer control for years, and have been happy with it.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
I have my Pi zero loaded with octopi but need to get some setup time. Hard when getting ready for thanksgiving
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
That is a little extreme!!! There are other more pressing characteristics that Sir Notingham might want to consider:

1. Can she bake an Apple Pie.
2. Is a new 100W laser cutter more important than an new dishwasher?
3. Does laser etching come before anniversaries?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
That is a little extreme!!! There are other more pressing characteristics that Sir Notingham might want to consider:

1. Can she bake an Apple Pie.
2. Is a new 100W laser cutter more important than an new dishwasher?
3. Does laser etching come before anniversaries?

Wrong thread but very true!!!!! ;D

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
Ok. So I have my Pi loaded with Octoprint.
I installed the grbl extension.
Finally got the pi/octoprint to see the nano on my L7 board
I grabbed a gcode file I generated from T2 and loaded it on.
Clicked load and print and then the nano disconnected with an error.

From what I can see, it is sending everything all at once. I am sure it is my fault and need to add something for buffer control

Thats where I am at so far