Author Topic: Help with Chinese A3 laser engraver with SD-reader+LCD but no USB connector  (Read 469 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: Help with Chinese A3 laser engraver with SD-reader+LCD but no USB connector
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
Oh yeh, I totally forgot it had no USB.. I'm stubborn to and would waste hours frigging around.

Since it takes files off SD then it may not even try and stream data off the serial, might just be a debugging port or programming port, it might be able to stream data if you knew the command to tell it to use the port.. so it's a long shot at best.

However, if you did want to have a look, you probably just need a USB-serial device, most likely a 3.3v one. I would suggest a CO2102 version, less driver hassles than with FTDI clones.
Plug it into Tx to Rx, Rx to Tx and ground

If you wanted to learn new stuff you could grab yourself a nodemcu board (esp8266) and program it with esp-link and use it as a wifi to serial device, I have driven my laser with one, in this case though its probably better to find a new hobby and wait for the Mana SE :)
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
I am interested in driving a laser etcher with an ESP8266 module. The concept sounds good. Questions:

1. Local storage such as SD card?
2. Error detection and recovery?
3. Do messages contain the gcode or does the ESP CPU  produce the gcode from raw data?
4. How to abort a burn?
5. Drive the stepper motors and laser PWM from the ESP module?

I suspect it might be simpler to implement a serial transport mechanism such as the serial USB chips.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
I did nothing clever, just plugged the esp serial from the node mcu directly into the mana se 'bluetooth' connector, the nodemcu has a volltage divider on the esp Rx so no need to be concerned with voltage levels.
software .. from memory i used Serial-TCP snd set up a virtual com port, set T2 to the virtual port and off it goes. I think installing serial-tcp destroys T2's anility to scan the available ports though, it is not the only casualty so it must break a windows function.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
Would you (and anyone else) be interested in replacing the Nano with a nodemcu or similar device. Would entail:

1. Designing a base controller.
2. Porting the GRBL code to ESP.
3. Figuring out how to make it look like a USB.

I recently ordered a couple "SX1278 LoRa ESP32 0.96 Inch OLED " modules. If my info is correct, the ESP32 is a dual core module with one core dedicated to the radio while the other is available for the user. I think they have very similar software architecture.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
its doable but a lot of work and I have enough hobbys. I would probably tackle the pcb design if someone else wants to do software.. thats more work than fun for me.
without looking i am not sure the esp has enough I/O though you could expand it with a 23s17 or similar.

The killer is that grbl is designed from low level to use bit manipulation for the ports (all byte wide) and that would need a bit of shuffling to port across to what I assume is no longer byte access?
Perhaps starting with the mega2560 port would help, then you have a bunch of interrupts to ensure the same oevel of functionality.

not sure how you deal with 2 cores and how they communicate .. it could be as easy as sticking something like esp-link on the Rf core and a grbl port on the second, then you just need a virtual comport between them.

the display would be cool, might go looking at some new modules..
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver