Author Topic: 50 Watt Chinese laser  (Read 4468 times)

jlauzon

• View Profile
50 Watt Chinese laser
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
I know Zax has experience with the cheap CO2 lasers.

My brother just bought one and we're trying to cut the planetary card as a benchmark piece. Acrylic works beautifully, but with 3mm laser ply, we get a very gummy scorch. I've attached a couple of pics. We did this one at:

50W laser
5 mm/sec feedrate
80% power

We get a full cut in a single pass.

As like most of these machines, it has an air pump  to quell flare-ups and it also exhausts smoke/fumes to a hose that is terminates out-of-doors.

Any advice to reduce this scorching will be very much appreciated.

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: 50 Watt Chinese laser
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »
Is the work piece RAISED  off the baseboard? apparently that is one thing that seems to reduce scorching  according to those experts I have read on other forums....Maybe you are using just that little bit too much power or too slow a movement........Can't help  any further as I have no experience using  my laser --  yet.  But I am learning stuff.........
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Be sure to have something with holes under the board such as metal honeycomb...you need some space under the material you are trying to cut...I bought a 16x16 honeycomb plate on Amazon...if you just lay your wood down on top of another piece of wood or MDF spoiler board, you'll have a difficult time getting a good cut.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

jlauzon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Yep, we set the plywood on a couple of bricks and the scorch is completely gone. Although I do thing we can speed it up and drop some power.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:51 PM »
I use an aluminum honeycomb as the cutting base, which helps but I suspect the problem is the resins.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
I use an aluminum honeycomb as the cutting base, which helps but I suspect the problem is the resins.

Yes I thought that as well..but they said they used LASERply...but then there is a lot of good quality ply sold, that is not PROPER  LaserPly...especially on Ebay. 
Proper Laserply has totally different  glues to bond the veneers unlike ordinary, but good quality Ply.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

jlauzon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
Yes I thought that as well..but they said they used LASERply...but then there is a lot of good quality ply sold, that is not PROPER  LaserPly...especially on Ebay. 
Proper Laserply has totally different  glues to bond the veneers unlike ordinary, but good quality Ply.

I'll have to look into the vendor - it was from Amazon.

Zax, do these laser machines also use GRBL-based  firmware. i.e. can I get T2Laser working on this with some modifications to the GRBL parameters?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:29:39 AM »
Mine came with a proprietary driver board and software called NewlyDraw, which was protected with a dongle key (why you would bother with such terrible software is a mystery).

I replaced the board with a Nano setup similar to an Eleks Maker L6, the stepper motors are compatible and the laser PSU supported TTL input for PWM so it worked great. The only trick was figuring out the settings to get the size right but not too difficult.

Yes, T2Laser works great with it once converted.

jlauzon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
I have vector cuts and vector engravings working beautifully now.

Raster in gray-scale has been elusive. I can burn a raster, but no matter what, it's goes black and white.

@Zax - which software do you generally use on your CO2 machine for grat-scale? I want to eventually use T2, but not keen on figuring out all of the GRBL parameters right yet.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
I use the CO2 for cutting, and the diode for engraving.

So for the CO2 I run the G-Code from T2Laser but generate it with ArtCAM mainly because that's what I use for the CNC router, there's no real reason I could save the DXF out and import to T2Laser and use that for everything, rather than doing the same thing with the G-Code.

jlauzon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
I use the CO2 for cutting, and the diode for engraving.

So for the CO2 I run the G-Code from T2Laser but generate it with ArtCAM mainly because that's what I use for the CNC router, there's no real reason I could save the DXF out and import to T2Laser and use that for everything, rather than doing the same thing with the G-Code.

I'm very close to scrubbing the stock firmware, installing firmware/params from T2 and slogging through the GRBL settings. The included software is as bad as benbox's.

I appreciate your feedback Zax (as always).