Author Topic: Steve's Elekslaser A3 Pro 5500mA/h satisfying journey  (Read 1208 times)

swatson144

• View Profile
    • Totally Screwed Nachine Shop
Steve's Elekslaser A3 Pro 5500mA/h satisfying journey
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
I accepted delivery on Tues 11/21/17 from Banggood.com. I had it assembled and tested by Thanksgiving noon 11/23/17. I went with the software that seemed to be recommended by Banggood which was EleksCam. It all went fine and was a snap to setup. There were a few problems like just turning on the power to the controller after connecting to the brains and sending the firmware, the laser came on for ~ 3/4s of an eternity or 10 seconds which ever was sooner and and simply tried to burn through the earth. In my case setting "weak" to 1 in the settings page stopped it's pyromaniac tendencies. I fumbled about a little and burned some jpgs from the gallery and then managed to get closer to engraving them and then decided I wanted something with more controls, and access to the Gcode it generated for editing.

So my newby spin on EleksCam.
Plus column. If you aren't well versed in Gcode and just want to get rolling I think the only easier way would be to have a friend come over with a bottle of bourbon and set it up for you.Nice stuff for free.
Cons column, not much in the way of control (that I found in my short time with it) just speed control. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then I DL'd  T2 this afternoon, opened the garage door for ventilation (Oh come on not even Martha Stewart could have setup an extractor by now) and plugged the notebook into the A3, flashed it successfully with grbl 1.3E without even having to DL a file and started to try and work with it. Deja Vu There were a few problems like just turning on the power to the controller after connecting to the brains and sending the firmware, the laser came on for ~ 3/4s of an eternity or 10 seconds which ever was sooner and and simply tried to burn through the earth.  Hmmm a problem for the AM. I burned the t2 man into a piece of light ply without burning it up too bad The saga will continue.

Pros and cons will have to wait  'til tomorrow. For now I'm liking that th3ere is a lot of potential for me to screw up in my own unique (some say talented) way.

Some stuff about me on my 1st post. During the day I program Lathes, and Vertical Milling machines and by night/weekends I tinker in my home garage shop with mill/drill, lathe, GMAW welder, and 3d printer.

Thanks for having me in the forum.
Steve

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Steve's Elekslaser A3 Pro 5500mA/h satisfying journey
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
The laser on during power up is a know problem. It is solved by soldering a 4.7K resistor (value not terribly important) between D11 and GND. The root cause is the Arduino sets the I/O pins as inputs during reset. This appears at a high (ON) to the laser module. Takes the CPU about 2 seconds to initialize the direction and level correctly. Approx $0.005US for the manufacturer to correct.

BTW - Welcome to the forum. We really like seeing what end users can do. Post your results (including failures).
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »
The suspense is killing me  ;D. (hopefully there are more items in the pros than cons columns)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I can guarantee you will get help here along with comedy, frustration, sadness and way too many ideas to improve these beasts.

Nothing beats assistance with sarcasm.

Again welcome.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

swatson144

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:59:16 AM »
Thanks folks,
Zax I'm very sure the only con will be my poor retention of the videos, most everything that bothered me was covered but I couldn't remember. Now that I have used the software I can better understand the finesse I apply to ruining wood.
ggalant571, thanks for that, I'll look into it and implement it when I put the cable drag chains on. In the interim using a piece of thick scrap should do. Now that I understand it.

Thanks again everyone, very informative. Today I plan to build an enclosure with an exhaust so I can run on cold days, and perhaps a wifi or webcam so I can see what is going on inside.

Steve 

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »
Nottingham idoes a good job on video tutorials for T2

http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2729.0.html
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

swatson144

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
I spent most of the day to box the beast in. Materials were 3/4" PVC pipe and branched elbows and some door skins (.108 plywood). I made the PVC frame and cut the wood to fit today. Tomorrow I fit the 50 SCFM exhaust fan with light in the top and screw the sides and all on. I should soon be able to at least exhaust exhaust smoke outside in an area beside garage and fence where no one goes.

Steve 

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
The laser on during power up is a know problem. It is solved by soldering a 4.7K resistor (value not terribly important) between D11 and GND. The root cause is the Arduino sets the I/O pins as inputs during reset. This appears at a high (ON) to the laser module. Takes the CPU about 2 seconds to initialize the direction and level correctly. Approx $0.005US for the manufacturer to correct.

BTW - Welcome to the forum. We really like seeing what end users can do. Post your results (including failures).
Here's the advantage of this forum.  Reading someone else's adventure and I discover the solution to an issue I thought i just had to live with.
Thanks ggallant.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.

swatson144

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »
I'm still making progress. Today I set out to get a little work on my smoke ejector done and to get my drag chains installed. I ended up getting a lot of work done on the smoke ejector and hit a stop on my drag chains. Namely I need to print some risers so the 10mm chains can fold under the Y steppers.

I made a box of .100" plywood and PVC pipe screwed together with self drilling screws. There is going to be a 50CFM exh fan with light on top and semi flex hose to go outside to a water trap. You can see the fan housing in the attachment.

I don't really want to mount the front door until I figure out how I want it. I have hopes that if I set it in front the partial vacuum will hold it in place. If not magnets are my friend.

The whole thing weighs in at < 20LB so it will be easy to remove to work on the machine.

Steve