Author Topic: SMD solder stencil  (Read 131 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
SMD solder stencil
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:01:31 AM »
This is for stenciling solder paste onto a pcb so you can reflow it in an IR oven, hot plate or hot air, if you are careful not to blow the parts away.

If you are mass producing boards you usually buy a laser cut stainless steel stencil, you can also get cheaper mylar or polyamide versions, I wanted to try DIY.

I can't seem to find suitable sheet stock yet, figured I would try what was to hand first.
First thing I saw, black insulation tape.. hmm

Needed to stick it to something, blank copper seemed a good choice.
Imported a gerber 'paste' stencil into T2, ran auto trace and ran the default 'cut' profile, full powrr at 100mm/min.
Burn away .. realised after I started this is likely evil vinyl tape, toxic fume stuff .. meep, held breath, it's only small.
Advantage of tape is peeling it off leaves the cut out sections behind, tape is probably going to stretch but I think for a few boards it is probably a usable solution, might be a little on the thick side is all, which means too much solder on the pads.
Will report back later.

Picture shows the cut bits left behind on the copper and the resulting tape once moved and stuck elsewhere.

I also have a slightly sore throat now, might die overnight..

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

laser_cutter

• View Profile

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Re: SMD solder stencil
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »
Cutting stencils with a laser https://hackaday.com/tag/smt-stencil/

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: SMD solder stencil
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
Yeh seen quite a few of those .. unfortunately I haven't bought meself a 40W laser yet, so the usual clear film would need some work.
The first thing I was going to try actually was using a laser printer transparency sheet and colour it in with a marker beforehand, but when I opened the drawer to get the film out I noticed the roll of tape and thought I would give it a shot first.

Now the main reason I would like to stencil at times is for 0.5mm pitch components, since I make boards at home I am currently not using a solder resist which means the solder has to be pretty damn precise, whole reason for making a stencil in the first place, so personally I think the 3D printer option is out, bit too much mucking around and I am pretty damn lazy with my printer setup, what with needing a very good first layer height and I think the <0.2mm square holes are going to fill in. Be ok for larger stuff though maybe.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)