Author Topic: MIT concept printer  (Read 931 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
MIT concept printer
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:11:11 AM »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: MIT concept printer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »
I went from 60mm/s to 100mm/s by using the new linear advance in the marlin firmware.  Speed is nice :) and havent seen a drop in quality.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:25:32 AM »
This could be interesting, up to 10x faster and melt with a laser.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/28/mits-new-desktop-3d-printer-technology-increases-speeds-up-to-10x/

The way to 3d print has MIT probably patent on for the next 20 years so it will not be something we can enjoy with our cheap machines. As I understand, the print will also be stronger provided they can control the laser in such a way that the filament does not get too hot and degrades.

Regards Leif.
Only a new "Wood Smoker"  /;-)

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:41 AM »
Others have had issues trying to patent in the 3D printing community due to everyone basing their work on open source work done previously.
Just knowing what works should allow others to follow in their footsteps at the very least.
The trick is obviously the higher extrusion speed, so getting the heat into the filament rapidly, perhaps also heating the point at which the extruded material meets the current build. The XY stuff has always had the ability to go faster.
Been keeping an eye on this guys Odrive stuff for a while, nearly bought one a few months back but decided to wait for further iteration... since I currently have no real use for it.

https://youtu.be/FUh36RUHzdU
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
So, after much research, I have come to the conclusion that my Maker Select v2 cannot do Linear Advance without an overhaul on the control board.

I have been doing some tests though. I have "Equalize Filament Flow" in Cura enabled but not too sure if that is helping or not. On a whim, I upped my speed from 40mm/s to 70mm/s and have not noticed an issue. I am fairly certain that having Z braces have helped. I just never changed my settings after I puth them of because I figured it just helped at greater heights. I plan on doing some more speeds to see how fast I can actually go without losing quality. I have a few pieces I need printed first, but have a few speed test files to try out. I will post my results
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »
So I threw a speed test on the printer. I tested speeds from 20-100mm/s at 20mm/s intervals

You may or may not be able to see in the pictures but it just starts to get a little rough texture on the walls at 80. Obviously 20mm/s is the best. At 40 and 60 are a bit more rough but very passable for most things. At 80 and 100, there are some visible gaps and the walls are thinner.

Please note. I took the gcode from a speed test on Thingiverse so none of my settings that I have played with apply to this.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »
I run 60mm/s for most things and drop to 50 when I need precision holes etc.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Watching the video in the first post the way the bed is rocking i don't supose the quality is very good.

Personaly i think we will move to ac current for the heating of filament like they are now starting to do with the bigger heatbeds nowadays, the tevo tornado can go from room temp to 125c in less than 5 minutes using AC instead of DC.

You have the AC there so why not use it like other home appliances.
Another problem is keeping up the pressure in the hotend for faster throughput, we'll get there but i might not see it.

I watched a video of a guy building his house with a giant hanging printer looked cool and faster than laying it on with a trowel and shoval so speed is relative
Eleksmaker A3 Pro with Z axis.
Heavily Modded Anet A8 with Octoprint and Raspberry pi.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »
Watching the video in the first post the way the bed is rocking i don't supose the quality is very good.

Personaly i think we will move to ac current for the heating of filament like they are now starting to do with the bigger heatbeds nowadays, the tevo tornado can go from room temp to 125c in less than 5 minutes using AC instead of DC.

You have the AC there so why not use it like other home appliances.
Another problem is keeping up the pressure in the hotend for faster throughput, we'll get there but i might not see it.

I watched a video of a guy building his house with a giant hanging printer looked cool and faster than laying it on with a trowel and shoval so speed is relative

If you use marlin firmware, take a look at the Linear Advance feature. It helps keep the correct pressure in the hotend for faster speeds as well as correct line thicknesses when speeding up and slowing down.