Author Topic: 2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns (CLOSED)  (Read 2278 times)

krypton

• View Profile
2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns (CLOSED)
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
Hi all,
Yup, here we go again. Thanks to Zax yesterday as he helped me get the laser going again. Like I had figured another problem has come about.

I have the laser set as follows:

Dark burn    30% power feed rate @ 1000

Light burn    30% power feed rate @ 6000

Left to right motion on MDF board.

DXF file loaded 5" x 7" square in inches format.

Image none

The problem is that the dark burn test is great with the exception of the very right edge of the burn is darker like an out line. Also about 1/4 of the way in from the left it faintly looks like a vertical line ever so slightly darker.

Now, the light burn, the first two lines are OK, then one complete line missing then the next 3 or 4 lines start from 1/4 of the way from the left side. The rest of the lines start from the correct point as the first two. All lines are darker on the right side like the motion stopped but laser burn did not causing a darker outline on the right side.

I don't think its a mechanical problem as I get almost the same same result after jogging to another section of the MDF board. Slight differences though. Two missed lines on the light burn. Still darker burn on the right edge like a light border.

Wow the test burn after doing the little blocks was wierd to say the leased top 1/4 of the block was good but from there down a lot of missed lines and half burnt lines............

As the laser is running I hear the modual stop and start like its missing a gear..........I did check the voltage on the adjustible pots on the x/y drivers. The one in the middle was 1.04 volts and the other was 1.10 volts in idle mode. I tried to burn a black and white image which did not come out too well, you could bearly tell what it was supposed to be. I ran the image about 3 or 4 times each lasted about 9 to 13 minutes. I noted that the step motors were not even warm.

Any ideas as to whats causing this. I did notice a few indians ride by as I was sending a lot of smoke signals...........ha,ha

Thanks,
Krypton...................
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:19:34 PM by Administrator »

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
I am not sure why your having these issues but those voltages seem really high on your current drivers
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,20.0.html
have a look at this thread and calibrate your stepper drivers then give it a try again
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
I have a 2.5W laser and 6000mm/min is much too fast to get a reliable burn at 100% power. Suspect 30% to be almost nothing. At these speeds the acceleration will be a major component. Short spans will be much darker than the long ones.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
You're correct George, 30% power will not light up the laser beam all the time. For engraving, you need to be using 100% laser power. Adjust your speeds as needed with that power setting.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

krypton

• View Profile
Re: 2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns (OPEN)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Thanks guys,

I had my dvm probe on one of the legs of the A4988 driver boards giving the high readings. I used the USB shield for ground and clipped a metallic screw driver to the pos. end and adjusted the pots as: next to the nano at .43 Volts and the one on the end of the controller to .63 volts.

Run some small test shapes in the image tool calibration window as follows:

Dark 8000 speed @ 100% .2 Dia
Light 11000 speed @ 100% .2 Dia.

The burns were OK, not too much difference in the darkness of the burns. The dark outlines went away as well as the missed lines. If I dropped the speed below 8000 the side to side motion of the laser sounded like a motor with a miss, stuttering along thus making burn dots causing the border. The 11000 speed sounded smooth and steady, good burns.

Guess I'll play with an image or two and see what the outcome will be, hopefully not more problems had enough of those.

Another question ( off subject ) how do I include a footer on my posts to indicate the equipment (laser) I'm using ??

Again thanks,

Onward and upward we go burning up stuff.................

Krypton..................

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
Have you read the laser tool calibration and engraving tutorial here: http://bencutlaser.us/welcome

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Yes I have but I will read it again.

I calibrated a laser tool for MDF B/W 100% @ 10000 speed and the image was fair the first 1/4 of the image and then seemed like the right half of the image was burning darker and darker. Lighter colored streaks on the right hand side from top to bottom. The streaks did not look like missed lines, more like 3 or so lines at a lighter burn. The step motors and driver ICs were just ever so slightly warm, laser modual was warm not hot.

I loaded a DXF file which was a border 5" x 7". I used this as a template to keep future drawings inside to fit laser. I then loaded an image of an owl head, got this off of Zax web page last month. My wife loves owl but she dose not like the smoke from the laser.

I'll get back onto the problem again tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to comment as I'm still scratching my head.
Thanks,

Krypton................

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
I have a problem with 11,000 mm/min and etching with a 2.0W diode. That is 183mm/sec. If you burn a 20mm square does it traverse the 80mm in 0.43 seconds.

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Yup back at it.

Answer to ggallant571 : I agree the 11000 was a bit high, I was running test burns to get the burnt look on MDF that I felt was right. I re-calibrated the tool and left it at 8000. Then re burnt the image. It came out all right but would like it better if the darker areas were a little lighter I guess. When I was calibrating the tool I timed the larger test burn. The size was 1/4" high by 1/2 " wide it took 48 seconds to burn at the 8000 speed setting. Hopefully I'm getting on the right track with this.

I'm definitely going to vent this laser but at the same time I would like to increase the size. Oh well always something to do.

Thanks,
Krypton................

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
the best way to get an image a little lighter in some areas and darker in others is to play with the contrast and image curves. 
here is how I do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBKXeSfuVyk 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Was this burning the outline or etching the area?

If burning the outline a 1/2 x 1/4 inch rectangle is about 38 mm or about 47 mm/min.

If  etching at 0.1 line spacing that would be about 744 mm or 930 mm/min.

Please check my math but that is nowhere close to 8000 mm/min however it is consistent with my typical feed rates etching.

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
Hi again,

To ggallant571: the burn was the test burn that was generated in the BCL test pattern to obtain the tool calibration. I have a feeling that the test burn pretty much = the final burn when the image is done. I did adjust the threshold but the darker areas disappear in the image preview. Wonder if I can re-due the B/W image in a grey scale format, try I guess. I don't have that program that nottingham82 is talking about, but Ill check it out. A lot to learn so, what dose not have a learning curve that goes with it.!!

I really appreciate you guys helping me out..........

Krypton..............

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
I think you should start simple. Simple square outline burn. When I see your numbers something do not seem correct.  Perhaps you acceleration is off by a factor of 1000. Please dump and post the grbl parameters.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:26:43 PM by ggallant571 »

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
You're using Grbl 1.1e right?

>Wonder if I can re-due the B/W image in a grey scale format, try I guess.

I must be mis-understanding what you mean. It makes no sense to me to try and do a B&W image in GS.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:20:21 PM by Administrator »

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
Yes I am using Grbl 1.1e. The burned B/W image seems to be burnt too hard in some of the dark areas of the image. I noticed 3 to 4 small areas resemble a crater with a white ring (ash) surrounded by blacker material ( not reduced to ash). The rest of the image looks fine a light brown color. I can see the burn lines in the brown areas. The tool test pattern is a real nice  brown. You can just barlley see the burn lines. The dia. is set at 0.2. I guess what I was looking for is a light brown and a darker brown and not black.

ggallant571 : Not sure what is ment to dump and post the Grbl parameters. Do you mean post the Grbl settings? Sorry, lost me there.

Thanks,
Krypton...............................