Author Topic: 2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns (CLOSED)  (Read 2508 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 watt A5 BCL engrave test burns (OPEN)
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
Is this balsa wood? It looks extremely porous...not good for engraving.

Can you switch to plywood? This will give us a base wood to work with.

Also can you circle your 16 square test matrix...I can't tell which burns are what. I'd like to really see a close up of your matrix burn.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:34:28 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Hi Ralph,

No not balsa, it was raw maple not sanded.

I did the same test on some plywood. I have no idea what the wood type is. The attached picture should show the pink matrix. Sure burns dark at these speeds 800 and 1200. How high a feed rate will the laser support?

Thanks,
Krypton..........

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
This may be a duplicate posting. Started to reply and went away for a minute. Came back 2 hours later.

Attached are a gcode file and a picture of its burn. I start the power at 250 (out of 255) and lower by 50 for each  inside square. Speed is held constant. Image on left is at 300 while image on right is at 900. I find the pattern useful for checking:

1. Distance
  2. Straightness
  3. Square/parallel
  4. Burn width.  With and across the grain.
  5. Burn intensity.

Notes : 1. I really do not know what the actual speed is as it is a core-xy machine with
 stock grbl-1.1f.
                Suspect it is actually slower by the square root of two.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Good to know ggallant571. I'll do that with auto cad. I do not have the core x-y just the plain ole banggood 2.0 watt 17x20 laser.

Just a little background, I started years ago with GW basic, progressed to Pascal, then to c++ programming. also had a year at Auto cad 14. Have forgotten a lot of it as it goes. This program is getting to be a challenge. I still think I'm missing a point somewhere. Oh well on it goes I guess...............
Again thanks,
Krypton............................. 

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
@krypton

Your test pattern is very poor. I strongly suspect it is your wood. It is too soft and porous. You need to be using a harder wood. Otherwise you will never get a good engraving.

The BenCutLaser website shows you what a good test pattern should look like: http://bencutlaser.us/load-test-pattern-tab

The laser will support speeds much higher than 1200. You need to focus on getting a good dark burn line test. Then work on getting a good light line burn test. Then burn a test matrix and see if you can get 16 squares similar to the link above.

So far I have not see you using any good hard woods. Your test pattern wood I can see deep surface 'valleys' in the surface of the wood. This is not a good wood to be using. Plywood has a pretty flat constant surface for laser burning. While it's not the best wood to use, it is cheap and it will laser 'ok'. The harder the wood the better the results. I say this more than one time on the BCL website.

Your last photo shows no light burning at all...it all looks pretty dark. 1200 is way too slow for a light burn. Try 2400 and bump it up 100 at a time until you get a good light burn. Refer to the images in the .PDF or .RTF engraving documents so you know what to look for.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:16:59 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
Hi all,
It's been a while, too many interruptions around here this time of the year.
I decided to upgrade to the latest BCL . That turned out to be fun, ended up with two programs on the drive and the trial version. Was able to get that all cleared up.
Did do a few burns on plywood to see if the program worked OK. I'll be doing some more testing in a couple of days after the grand kids go home.
I would like to get the laser going, which I will, just  a mater of time and burning up wood in the process.
Have a good Holiday everyone..............

Krypton.................