Author Topic: Spindle motor arrived .. now to assemble a machine around it  (Read 99 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Spindle motor arrived .. now to assemble a machine around it
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:17:55 AM »
So I have had this in my shopping cart for months and just decided what the he** and ordered it..
Arrived today .. tested with my tacho at just over 10000 rpm, pretty torquey, I have not fully tried to stall it at low revs as I figure that is not nice to the controller but it hurts the fingers just trying to slow it down.
Peeking in through the side I can see the main filter cap is 400V, I prefer 450V which you get in better gear.
My mains is 253.5V today .. so multiply by root 2 and you get 358.5V .. a bit close to 400 for my liking.

I thought I found a glitch with Banggood website .. neither the iPad app or the website gave me the ability to confirm the delivery, the button is just missing. Sent an email off to the help desk thinking it was a bug, no

The "confirm delivery" button will be showed after 5 days of the order has been shipped.
Could you plesae wait for a few days?

So talk about fast delivery, damn, never seen that before. Sure enough I ordered on Nov 25.

https://www.banggood.com/ER11-Chuck-CNC-500W-Spindle-Motor-with-52mm-Clamps-and-Power-Supply-Speed-Governor-p-1027937.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Now .. what to do with it, my old sherline mini lathe runs an old universal sewing machine motor, that could do with an upgrade.

Or .. I fit it to the dodgy bendy mini mill and see if the extra torque allows it to cut aluminium, I doubt it.

Or .. I bite the bullet and buy some SBR12 or SBR16 .. which ? I would really like to make something that works, it does not have to be large .. I think now that buying the larger version of the engraver was a mistake, if I did it again I would buy the smaller profile version.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:31:21 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle motor arrived .. now to assemble a machine around it
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
Hurts the fingers? Surprised you didn't grab it with your teeth!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:48 PM »
C'mon ..  you never grabbed a drill chuck ?
Same thing but more spinnys, I was touching it at under 1000rpm btw, lowest speed. I thought it would be stoppable but no..

Forget to add the first pic I took.

Doohickey on the right is my new leather working hammer arrived same day, $9 delivered, very nice weight too.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:47:05 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:12:52 AM »
I've been looking at those to replace my old water cooled high frequency spindle but worried about the noise.

I know it's subjective but how would you rate it compared to either a trim router or your previous motor?

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:38:13 AM »
apart from a little vibration in the upper ranges which made it vibrate on the bench (not enough for it to actually move on the laminex, it just buzzed unless I had a finger on it) it is pretty damn quiet. At the upper speeds the main thing you hear is fan noise.

I had to pull it out and try again cause I did not take a huge amount of notice, so uploaded a noise test to youtube, I don't have a dB meter so I was talking while it ran to give a constant background noise for the mike AGC. I also put it on a piece of packing foam to get rid of the slight table vibration.

sorry for potato ipad video quality, not sure what the noise increase at the end is, maybe I touched something with the ipad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeD_B1UVCM

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:20 AM »
Probably never going to attempt warranty so ripped off the sticker and pulled the top off.
Main switching mosfet is an IRFP540 which is rated at 500V and 20A, a little low for my mains again, I prefer 600V devices in my units.

On a quick look it appears the control pot is isolated from mains voltage with a transformer and optocoupler, there are 3 pots, one marked 'max' near the control circuit, one marked 'Cur' which I assume is set for the 500W motor current and another whose label is covered by the black gunk, I imagine that would be a feedback pot.

One thing to bear in mind with these, the motor is driven from chopped, rectified mains voltage, live chassis like an old TV set so it is imperative to treat the motor wiring as if it was a live wire and take the necessary precautions regarding inulation.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
I know - I have to much stuff around.

This is the spindle that I was using on my small light weight machine. I was using it because it was a lot quieter then my router. After I got my 1.5KW water cooled spindle which was even quieter I didn't really need it any more and took the machine apart and used the parts to build something else.

My power supply is a little different and has a 450V cap and a bigger transformer. The small pots on mine are marked MAX MIN and CUR. Mine also had and additional set of contacts next to where the speed pot is connected that I used to control the spindle speed from my controller so you can see the pot is missing.
Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          K40
3D Printer: Folgers 2020 Pursa i3
                 Folger FT5
                 custom built Pursa i3

Boston Ma, USA

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
Thanks. That's really helpful, definitely higher pitched and more jet engine sounding - pretty cool!

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
Cheers for that Bill, a minimum pot would make sense, there is a LED that turns off when the control pot is low enough so perhaps it sets the threshold below which it shuts down.
I would say mine is a later version of yours, layout us similar, they have just updated the control circuit power from an iron transformer to a switch mode supply.
I probably have a higher voltage mosfet I can drop in, I used to repair big old 30"+ CRT Blaupunkt, Metz, Grundig etc TV sets and they had some massive mosfets in the supplys.
If mosfet fails it _should_ just blow the bejeezus out of the mains fuse in this though it may take a track or 2 with it, so a relatively easy repair.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver