Author Topic: What's failed - my board or my laser? (FIXED)  (Read 42 times)

Coco_Grizzly

• View Profile
What's failed - my board or my laser? (FIXED)
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
Here's a new challenge to test your laser knowledge expertise!

Some info on my setup and what I'm using

The laser itself is 2.5W, non-pwm. Had it for just under three months now. I've included pictures of every nook and cranny I thought could be useful to know.
I use the latest version of T2 laser, running the 1.1e non-pwm firmware, and I've installed the CH340 driver.

here's a link to the amazon page I purchase it from - http://a.co/cyU3BCh

It's been a great little machine, up until a few days ago. I sent a job to the machine, but part-way through the job the laser simply stopped, while the motors kept going. Now, anytime I attempt a new job, it goes through the motions, but the laser never lasts more than 10 seconds before it turns off.

I've attempted quite a lot of troubleshooting to get to the bottom of what's going on, and I've discovered something curious. If I take the plug connecting the laser to the board, and switch it into the port meant to send power to the fan, the laser stays on! I've tested this upwards of five minutes, with no visible falter in the power of the laser.

So my question to you all - where do I go from here? What can I do to get this machine back on its feet?

Edit: Today's lesson - Don't forget to dust out your machine!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:16:12 AM by Coco_Grizzly »
Laser: 2500mw Bachin Electronic D8 DESK4050
Software: T2

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's failed - my board or my laser?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
I'm guessing that the squarish green board contains the laser driver circuitry. With a scope you could probe to verify the Arduino D11 is pulsing and see that the output is following. Lacking the diagnostic tools, you could try replacing the Nano.

Is there a "weak" laser button on the controller?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Coco_Grizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
I'm guessing that the squarish green board contains the laser driver circuitry. With a scope you could probe to verify the Arduino D11 is pulsing and see that the output is following. Lacking the diagnostic tools, you could try replacing the Nano.

Is there a "weak" laser button on the controller?

My friend, you sent me down the proper path to success.

It does indeed have a weak-laser button. I pressed it, and not a thing happened. I was then struck with the idea to get a can of compressed air out and just dust the whole board down and wouldn't you know it, everything works again.

I would have never suspected dust to be the culprit in something like this, but it goes to show that there's always more to be learned when toying with new (to me) technologies and machines!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
I see a buck converter but not the MOSFET that sends power to your laser... it has to be there somewhere. Anyway I think that's most likely the issue although they usually fail permanently open or shorted.

It may be overheating and shutting down, the air duster would cool it (a lot most likely) just like a can of freeze spray is often used to find solder connection issues or component failures.

Coco_Grizzly

• View Profile
Re: What's failed - my board or my laser? (FIXED)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
If it wasn't already clear enough, I have loads to learn from the world of circuitry and the like. I plan to join my local Makerspace soon, so hopefully I can take a class or two and learn enough about this stuff as to not lean on the community here so much.

Until the next misstep, my friends!