Author Topic: need help with power of 2watt M140 Laser  (Read 303 times)

moritz

• View Profile
need help with power of 2watt M140 Laser
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:00:39 AM »
Hi there
i have soldered a M140  2Watt Laser Diode 5,6mm inside a coper housing now when i start burning i get a poor laser Beam not even half the Power like my 2.5 Watt 9mm Banggod laser ....the M140 is driven by a standard TTL Driver from china with 4.9 Volt and 1.7 Amp..
could it be my pottrimmer is broken ?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: need help with power of 2watt M140 Laser
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »
Please post some specifics on your wiring and components. I suspect there are some calibration procedures that may involve making a dummy load out of standard power diodes and resistors.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »
HI Gallant

i have made a dummy load wit 5 diode in series and a 1ohm 5Watt Resistor at the end on my first tryout i could set the voltage to 5.5 Volt and then via the testload
i have set the Current to 1.7 A ........then after burning a while i found out the beam is very poor so trying to calibrate the TTL Board up to 1.8 A did not work and also actually i canīt get the Poti of the Voltage by higher then 3.5 Volt .....turning the Trimmer does nothing no changing at all so i think the trimmer is broken and the amp
is very low......
i have ordered new trimmers and i will solder one and see what is happen---

about my setup...... 12 V goes from the L7 / Fan to the  12V input of the TTL Board .......Fan is on ....Laser is on Laser input ....from the Nano i have the 0.9 Pin going out to the + TTL pin on the Laser Board....

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
Hi there
i have soldered a M140  2Watt Laser Diode 5,6mm inside a coper housing now when i start burning i get a poor laser Beam not even half the Power like my 2.5 Watt 9mm Banggod laser ....the M140 is driven by a standard TTL Driver from china with 4.9 Volt and 1.7 Amp..
could it be my pottrimmer is broken ?

Do you have a lens on the diode?  It is required so you can focus the beam for cutting and engraving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2W-2000mW-445nm-Blue-Laser-Diode-TO-18-5-6mm-M140-/321715074421

Regards Leif.
Only a new "Wood Smoker"  /;-)

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:06:35 AM »
yes i have a single Lens  and a 3 glass Lense also i tried the lensy of my 2.5 banggood laser .....maybe my laser is to far away i have read  5cm is the best height to mount it ?

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:44 AM »
yes i have a single Lens  and a 3 glass Lense also i tried the lensy of my 2.5 banggood laser .....maybe my laser is to far away i have read  5cm is the best height to mount it ?

Yes, okay with the lens. At some distance, your lens can no longer focus and the dot gets bigger where it hits. However, it is too short distance from the lens to the subject that causes that problems. It will certainly not be a bad idea to experiment with the distance down to the topic to be engraved.

Maybe you have too big or small distance between the lens and the laser diode ??

Regards Leif.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:35:58 AM by Landbo »

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »
i am actualy installing a new TTl Driver will report later .. thx

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
well after setting up a new TTL Board the laser is not working it is not burning anymore there is a blue light and on starting a burnjob it goes high for a second then its only a soft light with no power ..the Board is setup with 4.9 volt and on the Testload the AMP was 1.6 A .....so i think this diode was faulty from the begining....

:(

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »
well after setting up a new TTL Board the laser is not working it is not burning anymore there is a blue light and on starting a burnjob it goes high for a second then its only a soft light with no power ..the Board is setup with 4.9 volt and on the Testload the AMP was 1.6 A .....so i think this diode was faulty from the begining....

:(

Sorry to hear that. You may have trouble cooling the diode properly. It requires that the housing on the diode to be kept very cold.

Regards Leif.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 01:46:40 AM »
well i have the diode inside a 12mm coper housing well pressed in and then the 12mm housing is inside a Aluminum Housing ....at the and a 4cm Ventilator is blowing al the time so i dont think it was overhaeting....

anyway i get a new one from the Reseller and i will ad a 2nd Ventilator in front of it,,

Kindly

Moritz

Landbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
well i have the diode inside a 12mm coper housing well pressed in and then the 12mm housing is inside a Aluminum Housing ....at the and a 4cm Ventilator is blowing al the time so i dont think it was overhaeting....

anyway i get a new one from the Reseller and i will ad a 2nd Ventilator in front of it,,

Kindly

Moritz

Yes, it should be cooling enough for a "small" laser diode. Good luck with the replacement.

Regards Leif.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
WTF ..i have killed my 2nd Diode by pushing it inside the Housing the Pin brakes away........... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
and my Laser from Ebay is still not here ;(