Author Topic: Raised bed and air assist  (Read 105 times)

Harryz

• View Profile
Raised bed and air assist
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
I've noticed on this forum that better results for cutting can be obtained by raising the bed and installing air assist. Where do you find the honeycomb that is mentioned for raising the bed?  As far as air assist, I'll get a small compressed that is needed. Is there someplace on the forum that lists what Harbor Freight compressor is needed.  As to tubing, what size and is there a standard attachment that is put on the laser to hold and direct the air?  Do you need this for etching too?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Raised bed and air assist
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »
I have a harbor freight airbrush compressor and it is not very useful. Does not push much air and the motor overheats. Have better results with small aquarium for just removing soot. I recall Wild.Bill posting a note about the small compressor he uses.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
I've noticed on this forum that better results for cutting can be obtained by raising the bed and installing air assist. Where do you find the honeycomb that is mentioned for raising the bed?  As far as air assist, I'll get a small compressed that is needed. Is there someplace on the forum that lists what Harbor Freight compressor is needed.  As to tubing, what size and is there a standard attachment that is put on the laser to hold and direct the air?  Do you need this for etching too?

You do not need a raised surface or air assist is needed for etching.

Air assist and raised surface is needed for cutting, 3mm raised surface works great for me without air assist.

As for air assist - blow away smoke that can block the laser and/or blow away soot/ash that can reduce the penetration of the laser on subsequent passes? 

Blow away smoke a light constant breeze will do.

Blow away soot/ash from the "valley" of the cut? Well you will need probably need a strong flow and a directed flow, ideally on that follows the same path as the laser. At any other angle, that air will not have penetration into the valley of the cut. I believe pawpaw created a 3d printable modification that allows for air flow to follow the path of the laser.

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:10:17 AM »
I have a small aquarium air pump that outputs 1.8 litres of air per minute but this is wishful thinking I think...It is attached to a football inflating needle and this is sufficient to put out any fires and blow away the smoke. It works ok for this but I think next time I will get a bigger more powerful pump. Be aware that any paper cutting will be difficult with this type of fume assist...
As for the honeycomb I use for now some perfboard but I would suggest you get the good stuff, my perfboard has started to sag in the middle (I have an A3 sized gantry).
I plan to 3D print the thingiverse jack to allow for bed Z height changes....
my 2c
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:15:47 AM »
Have a look at this thread. It shows pictures and describes Nottingham’s and my air assist
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,927.msg22759.html#msg22759
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
I used an expanded aluminum mesh under my wood.  However I noticed that where the metal cross pieces were it would not cut.  So now I raise my wood up so where the engraving is has nothing but air underneath.  I do this by placing little pieces of scrap under the corners.   If you can get legit honeycomb it might be better than what I used.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

chieflbm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
I found this 12" x 24" Aluminum honeycomb on Amazon for $23, I am going to try it out :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYGTDB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
Looks good.

I have yet to get a honeycomb myself. Lately, I just put a bunch of 3/8" nuts under my material. It was what was at hand when I was cutting.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

MegaBlackJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:59:55 AM »
I use a raised bed and focus the laser on the surface. This gives me improved results for cutting