Author Topic: Corexy plasma cutter  (Read 741 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Corexy plasma cutter
« on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »
Not sure if right forum area, seemed suitable though..

Hoping to get some advice here on some of the experts, I am sure I will need it, I just uploaded the files/photos/stls to thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2993546

current build state is as posted, so I still have to cut the horizontal steel, mount the thing, make a main carriage for the plasma tool, add a carrier for X axis, not sure whether to do a single or 2 rows of steel for the axis, idlers, belt clamps etc  .. then all the electronics and find a functional grbl that works with SD cards etc (I have a mega board with LCD, sd card holder etc, just no code for it)

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Corexy plasma cutter
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:20:32 AM »
You have been a busy boy!!! With lots more to go. Any idea about the cutting tool?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Yeh, already own that .. a 50A pilot arc plasma cutter. I forget the brand, bro bought a 60A Cut-60 (older model) and the thing only lasted a few days though it got a hammering by one of his employees, blew one of its 6 pairs of mosfets, I replaced them and they blew instantly, so ended up just removing them so he now has a 50A one as well I guess :)

I bought a sheet of 1.2mm steel a while back so thats been the goto, set to around 20A its a hot knife through butter, I need to keep a tiny gap though if possible as it does get tacky to the steel if you dragcut, which means its shorting the plasma to the cutting tip internally which stuffs the tips.
I have tested it with some larger stuff, like 10mm rebar. I have an old landcruiser that needs gutter replacement and thought this would be good to chop out suitable size sheets the right shape.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
i assume that being a true Aussie you tested the plasma cutter with your finger nails.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
1 step closer, added the holder for the Y carriage pulleys and X carriage beams.

1 step backwards, shattered one of my idler mounts trying to move it on the beams with a wooden hammer.

Photo of both..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:46:59 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver