Author Topic: ManaSE on DY-10 CO2Laser Power Supply  (Read 753 times)

Betacrypt

• View Profile
ManaSE on DY-10 CO2Laser Power Supply
« on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Hello from germany :)

i wanted to upgrade my actual 2,5W Laser to an powerful CO2 Laser tube blaster!

So i ordered a 50w CO2 Laser tube and a dy-10 50w Power supply.
But i have problems with wireing it up.

I have T2Laser and a ManaSE board (The new one without jumpers)

So did i connect the "S" from the Laser port on ManaSE to the IN Port of the 50W power supply to get the PWM Signla working? And leave the 12V +/- on the ManaSE blank?

Is this thinking right??? Im reading very much but didnt find a good sounding answer like my thinking :O

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: ManaSE on DY-10 CO2Laser Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
If you are going to build your own CO2 laser system you better know what you are doing very well because you could kill or blind yourself. It not like just changing a diode laser with a CO2 laser. a 50V CO2 laser is about 1000mm long.

Those power supplies usually have outputs for 24V and 5V for electronics, and >20K volts for the laser.
You need an adjustable mirror system to place the laser beam (the laser doesn't move the mirrors do), you need water cooling to keep the laser from blowing up, air assist is a must - there have been many fires from people trying to cut things without it. They can make a lot of smoke so you need a good exhaust system venting out side of the house. And then there are all the safety interlocks that are needed.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

Betacrypt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply but thats all basic known.

But did you have an answer of my question?

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »
I answered the way I did because your thinking is not right and/or incomplete.
The is no yes/no answer without the full design details. And I have never touched
a ManaSE board. If my memory is correct Zax is using an L1 board in his K40 so yes
the board could be made to control a CO2 laser but he must also be using some of the
original K40 power control. But there are still more questions than answers.

Are you planning to use the stepper controllers on the ManaSE or external controllers?

Where is the power going to come from for the stepper controllers and what voltage?

How are you planning to set max current for the laser? PWM sets the laser power from 0 the the max setting in the power supply.

80W Red-Black 500x700

Betacrypt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
The ManaSE Controls the stepper motors, works fine.

The only Question is how do i control the power supply of the CO2 Laser (dy10 50w) with the ManaSE board, i didnt want a poti in it.

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
If you are using the ManaSe for the stepper controllers then you do need to connect the ManaSe to 12V because that is what powers the stepper controllers. I use the Cohesion3D board at 24V.

Even with using the Cohesion3D controller on a CO2 laser you need something to set the max power. On mine I have a digital power control (came with my K40) - separate from the controller and I don't think this input will take a pwm signal and if it does its not documented anywhere. Every thing I have seen here has been a steady voltage level. The only way that I can think of to get around it is to calculate what voltage needed to drive the laser to safe max and build a resistor voltage divider. Most of these power supplies at that connector have 5V, GND, and input. You might be able to find a small pot and attach it to the power supply. You probably want a mA meter to monitor the current through the laser.
          80W Red-Black 500x700

Betacrypt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:35:45 AM »
Hey again, thanks for the reply. I attached a picture of the PSU Connection diagram. So on Recommenden 2 is that what i was thinking about. The Question is what voltage came out of the ManaSE "S" Port and what for an KHz Frequency?

When it will working my Problem would be solved :P

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
I only switch the laser on/off with the L1 board, there's no power control (still use the pot).

I could use Velocity Mode to produce grey scale but I use the CO2 exclusively for cutting so it isn't needed.