Author Topic: Openbuilds ACRO System  (Read 280 times)

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
Openbuilds ACRO System
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
hello guys, I am about to order an ACRO system from openbuilds parts store but i do not understand some options they have available there.
First of all what is this xPRO V3 driver board that it lets me select? is this the controller where i plug in my pc? Will this board work with T2 laser? Is it worth buying or should i look for a different board?  Also from the site it looks like thy do not sell the module with it. What module should i get and more important from whre? I do not want to get some crappy chinese thing. IF i get the module separately will it come with cables? or do i have to buy them ? Do the acro System guys send you the cables according to the size of the frame i get? ARe the nema 17 stepper motors good? Will the Acro system come with the mount parts for the module or ill have to build myself soem crazy stuff?
thanck you

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: Openbuilds ACRO System
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
I have a ACRO system and got just the basic kit which is just the mechanical parts. I didn't get motors or electronics/control parts because I already had them. The kit is a little pricey but by far is the smoothest running frame that I have seen and would do it again.

Their xPRO V3 driver board is just another GBRL board that connects to the PC and run's the motor and spindle and was actually designed for their CNC machines. You need to work out what you want for electronics and motors and buy the parts along with the cables that are needed. None are supplied. The old L1 board or most of the low cost EleksMaker boards will work just as well.

For mine I used a Arduino UNO with a CNC shield. The reason I used this over a EleksMaker board was to have easy access to the pins for the homing switches.

So for the ACRO system its best to look at it as two projects, the first being mechanical (ACRO) and the second electrical for motor/laser control.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser CNC Shield Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini

Boston Ma, USA

mauriceman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »
I have 2 of the 500mm ACRO systems and will vouch for the quality, smoothness and accuracy. I purchased a kit off ebay with the UNO, CNC shield and steppers for under $50.  No problems what so ever. Can't vouch for Openbuilds controller compatability with T2Laser. I run these at least a couple hours a day with no issues. T2Laser just works. There has been a steep learning curve going from an eleksmaker A3 complete kit to Openbuilds and different controller but worth it in the end.
Retired Industrial Electrician, PLC
500mmX500mm Openbuilds frame
1.6w, 2w, 2.5w laser heads

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
I have 2 of the 500mm ACRO systems and will vouch for the quality, smoothness and accuracy. I purchased a kit off ebay with the UNO, CNC shield and steppers for under $50.  No problems what so ever. Can't vouch for Openbuilds controller compatability with T2Laser. I run these at least a couple hours a day with no issues. T2Laser just works. There has been a steep learning curve going from an eleksmaker A3 complete kit to Openbuilds and different controller but worth it in the end.

You hit on something that a lot of people miss, and that is there is a learning curve with these machines. Even the plug and play A3 machines often don't play after you put them together. As you get further away from the standard kits the learning curve does get steeper.

OpenBuilds sell parts, and the few "kits" they have are mechanical kits and some offer a few options for motors and control. So with any of their kits you need to work out ALL the details of the control system you want and need. There isn't any one design that will fill everyone's needs which is why there are so many options.

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser CNC Shield Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini

Boston Ma, USA

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Looking at the ACRO system, I think the mechanical pieces are better than the stander A3/A5 kits. The motors they provide look like good quality too.

As for the controller, I am sure it is a darn good piece of electronic equipment. It is also $130. It is a GRBL controller running on a ATMega328 chip (same as the Eleksmaker ManaSE, Mana SE 3 axis board, Arduino UNO.......). It is convenient because everything is broken out on the board. I personally suggest you get a ManaSE or an UNO with CNC shield. They are less expensive and there is more support on the forum for those controllers.

With every different "kit" you buy, there is a learning curve. If you are looking for a money making machine that is put together, stop and look elsewhere. If this is a hobby that you hope to make a dollar or two and just have fun in general, go for it. The "steep" learning curve is half the fun. Can be frustrating at times, but figuring out HOW to make something work and the WHY it works that way always keeps me coming back for more.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
My learning curve is more like a roller coaster with steep inclines, inverted loops, and free falling.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

mauriceman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »
Inkscape, steep learning curve...Photoshop, steep learning curve...CAD software, steep learning curve...ad infinitum. Bring it all on, I love it! :)
Retired Industrial Electrician, PLC
500mmX500mm Openbuilds frame
1.6w, 2w, 2.5w laser heads

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Well, Inkscape wasn't that bad before. Now that Zax has 99% of what you need from Inkscape built into T2, having to go back to it is torture!
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
allright guys, I have decided to buy the acro system 1000x1000 and im in the need of a little help in figuring out what other parts i will be needing. The acro system i am getting is with stepper motors and thats it.
 So next step is figuring out the controller card i need. Having alredy purchased T2Laser software and since i got used to it i want to buy a board that will be fully compatible with the software.
With some help of wild.bill i think i figured out i can buy the controller boards on ebay. this is what i found, thats what i need right?
https://www.ebay.it/itm/CNC-Shield-V3-UNO-R3-4-x-A4988-3D-Laser-Engraving-Machine-Kit-For-Arduino/292328794703?hash=item4410276a4f:g:lVwAAOSwrhBZHm4D
or
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Arduino-CNC-Kit-with-UNO-R3-4-x-A4988-Drivers-GRBL-Compatible-Router-TTL/222223279820?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20170831090034%26meid%3Df081053ccfb847d482e62b9f5a4d394e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D292328794703&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Next step is figuring out what Laser i want. Id be happy to get the most powerfull one i can find around 250-300Euro price range.
On ebay i found there is some Eleksmaker modules that reach 7000mW. But on the eleksmaker page they are not even listed so its confusing me. Should i just buy the eleksmaker module on the official website?the strongest one they sell offically on their site is 5500mW.
This is the ebay module i found.:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/ELEKSMAKER-LA037000-445NM-7000MW-BLUE-LASER-MODULE-TTLPWM-WITH-HEAT-SINK-FOR-DIY/182964408253?hash=item2a99874fbd:g:zp8AAOSwgbhaMx6S

Other than this parts of course i will be needing all the connectors and cables. Anyone could guide me with the right cables and connectors i will be needing? possibly with an ebay link.
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:25:32 PM by InvisibleRasta »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 04:48:46 PM »
With a 1000x1000 frame the cable management is going to become a problem. You may want to look into a core-xy scheme. The plus is the two motors stay at one end. The minus is the belt length and routing. Regardless, you are still going need 1500mm of laser power/control cable.

Another alternative would be move the bed in one direction. Similar to quite a few 3D printers.

Regardless, please keep us posted on your progress.

InvisibleRasta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
I think that the acro system layout will be good enought for what i plan to do.what you are saying seems interesting but at the moment too much of a hussle for me.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
Either board would work. If you want an Eleksmaker controller:
2 axis: https://www.banggood.com/2-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015557.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
3 axis: https://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015947.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

As ggallant said, you will need cables. He says 1500mm but you may need more. From corner to corner diagonally, you are looking at around 1410mm that that cable will need to stretch. That does not include extra cable needed to allow for outside the frame for connections as well as slack.

As for lasers. anything above 5.5w will not last you long. those 7w lasers are just overpowered 5w laser diodes.
I run a 2.5w and have great luck with it. Depending on what you want to do will determine the power you should buy. I suggest you get the Eleksmaker blue lasers. Everything I have heard and seen about them shows that they are good quality and might actually output more power than what they state. I have an old black Eleksmaker (banggood was still getting rid of those when I bought) and I love it. Make sure it is 3-wire though

When you want to go on an adventure, go and build a corexy system. I am still losing hair over mine.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »
@ThorLoki  - What is the status of your core-xy? I have been quite happy with mine. Only problem is the speed appears to be off by the square root of 2 so rather than fix it I have been awaiting your report.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
@ThorLoki  - What is the status of your core-xy? I have been quite happy with mine. Only problem is the speed appears to be off by the square root of 2 so rather than fix it I have been awaiting your report.

I have been in a stall pattern lately. I was testing using 1/2" emt as my rails but it keeps binding. As you can see in the picture, it looks good but does not function the way I want. I have a customer who called me before Christmas saying he has some material to sell. He has linear rail of all types, bearings, linear bearings, t-slot (lots of it). I just need to make him an offer but he was off for the past two weeks. I am going to try and meet up with him this week or next  and then possibly have what I need to keep going.

Also, a few projects got pushed before it. I am going on an ice fishing trip the same week Zax is gone. A few years ago, I made an auto-jigging ice rod holder for my dad. I made it out of PVC. It is  controlled by an ATTiny85 and has a few settings. I have been working on a new smaller design since I got a 3D printer. I would prefer injection molded, but a prototype is a prototype. I am hoping to sell these commercially. My first version had about everyone at the lodge looking at it. ;D

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »
I forgot that where you live there are two seasons - hunting and fishing.

I used 8mm linear bearings and rods. They were stiff for the first hour but worked in nicely.  Have you looked at the linear rail guides such as the Iverntech MGN12?

Currently building a 500x500mm lead screw unit. Same rails and electronics. X & Y moving smoothly. Not sure about speed and distance but they should be relatively easy to fix. Probably will be wiring up 1.6W laser tonight or tomorrow.