Author Topic: my Y rail modding  (Read 377 times)

moritz

• View Profile
my Y rail modding
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:50:46 AM »
what do you think about this solution ? my wheels was wobbling inside the VSlot so i am searching for better way then ordering completely new wheels

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: my Y rail modding
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
I am a fan of the linear rail systems. Attached is a photo of the lead screw fixture I am currently building. Have a similar fixture in a corexy design working. No wheels although I have thought about adding one for support.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
yes looks nice but can you drive enough speed with the screw? ....i was thinkink to make a hybrid Y Axis with linear rail and X with wheels ...today i saw a laser just using the ball bearings as Wheels

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
yes looks nice but can you drive enough speed with the screw? ....i was thinkink to make a hybrid Y Axis with linear rail and X with wheels ...today i saw a laser just using the ball bearings as Wheels

Ball bearings on aluminum rail will wear out the rail quickly
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »
makes sense ...so whats the better sollution wheels or linear rails ?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »
I built this lead screw fixture because I wanted to investigate the differences in drive mechanisms.

Spent a number of days trying to get some usable speed numbers. Upper limit appears to be about 2800 mm/min. BTW - anyone know why we use mm/min, think mm/sec is more realistic. Today I am changing the Y axis drive from 2 motors on a single controller to 2 controllers. The Y mechanism was much smoother with just one drive and I suspect the back EMF is causing problems.

Vibration is a significant problem. The X axis has none, the Y is very bad. I think 500mm is the wave length of sound at 700Hz so any vibration is quite audible. It is smooth/quiet in the 1200 to 2000 mm/min range and again below 300. Stepper motors are not my field of expertise so this is all a learning experience.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:51:05 PM by ggallant571 »
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

moritz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »