Author Topic: Mana SE Laser Constantly on. Tried Non-PWM and regular hex firmwares.  (Read 1476 times)

maxcsmith

• View Profile
I have been procrastinating finishing this project after a bunch of 3d printer upgrades but I'm doing it.

Here goes. I have a benbox big engraver with eleks mana se with an arduino nano v3 that I added in place of the original. My laser is a two-pin 450mm 2000mw. Its original board fried and after initially working, was doing a similar thing. I'll have to revisit and verify. I'm pretty sure it was completely broken though.

I heard the fan pin and laser pin are the same minus the pin that controls it.

However, once I plug the controller board into the computer (either of my laptops) and turn it on, the laser activates and doesn't turn off. Doesn't seem to make a difference with either arduino controller. They both work the same and have this issue.

I tried plugging the laser into the coinciding +/- pins for the laser port and same deal.

I installed with xloader, the firmwares:

jtech_grbl.hex, laserink_grbl.hex, LX-Nano.328p.20150626.hex, grbl_v0_9a_edge_328p_16mhz_9600_build20121210.hex, and grbl_11e_nopwm.hex.

Seemingly I'm given the same results and it only activates when plugged into either of my laptops.

I'd change the '#define INVERT_SPINDLE_ENABLE_PIN // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable.'
 setting but unfortunately grbl only compiles for uno style controllers.

I also have three cnc shield v3's yet no unos. Is there a way I can compile for the mana se without uno boards? Is there a firmware that works with that setup? Should I just buy an uno and install it to one of the v3's? I'm capable of following any specific instructions. Or programming a v3 and uno. I could also order a laser if that's needed or anyone has a suggestion for one.

Please help! It would be much appreciated.

If someone knows anything or see something I may have missed, anything. Thanks

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Mana SE Laser Constantly on. Tried Non-PWM and regular hex firmwares.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:56 PM »
step one.  Break out your multi meter.

Step 2: unplug your laser and check what voltages you are getting at the laser on the 3 wires.  you should get 12v on the +,  ground on the -, and 0v on the S pin.  Then turn on the laser in the software.  You should now get 5v on the S pin.  If you are getting this then there is something wrong with your board or wiring.  If you are getting this then there is something wrong with  your laser

Step 3 if you did not get the correct voltages on the last step go back to the board and see if you are getting the correct voltages on the board.  If you are then its your wiring.  If you are not, it is a board problem.

Make sense?
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »
"If you are getting this then there is something wrong with your board or wiring.  If you are getting this then there is something wrong with  your laser"

I'm assuming you mean: 'If you are not getting this, there's something wrong with your board or wiring'? and 'If you ARE getting this, then it's something wrong with your laser'? Also it's just a two pin laser. So I'm assuming it's on the opposite signal/boolean value? of what it needs to be. I'll definitely check the voltages but do you think this could be a firmware issue and I've missed the correct hex or didn't install it properly? I'll definitely wire the two pin if I need to to double a pin for one wire as it's described in the other thread.

I'll get out the multimeter.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:29 AM »
"If you are getting this then there is something wrong with your board or wiring.  If you are getting this then there is something wrong with  your laser"

I'm assuming you mean: 'If you are not getting this, there's something wrong with your board or wiring'? and 'If you ARE getting this, then it's something wrong with your laser'? Also it's just a two pin laser. So I'm assuming it's on the opposite signal/boolean value? of what it needs to be. I'll definitely check the voltages but do you think this could be a firmware issue and I've missed the correct hex or didn't install it properly? I'll definitely wire the two pin if I need to to double a pin for one wire as it's described in the other thread.

I'll get out the multimeter.
If it's a two wire laser you should get 12v from the two wires with it turned on in the software. If there is something wrong with your firmware it will also show during this testing. Because the electrical symptoms will lead you to the issue

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:03:26 AM »
If it's a two wire laser you should get 12v from the two wires with it turned on in the software. If there is something wrong with your firmware it will also show during this testing. Because the electrical symptoms will lead you to the issue

Also... How did you wire your laser. It should be to the 2 pin motor connection.

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »
Getting a solid 5v on the multimeter for S and 12 v's for the one that should be.

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:15:49 AM »
Also... How did you wire your laser. It should be to the 2 pin motor connection.

Fan pins. But they get the same voltage.

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
(from the multimeter)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 05:41:04 AM »
Sounds like the Nano is fried. You could try building the Arduino example blink program with the output pin assigned to D11. It will pulse at a one second rate and monitor with the multimeter.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Fan pins. But they get the same voltage.

There are no fan pins on a mana Se.  There are 3 laser pins, 4 servo pins, 2 motor pins, and 4 serial pins.  are you referring to the motor pins which have a red connector?

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
you might be better off just showing us a picture of your set up.  I suspect you have it wired wrong.  To post pictures here they need to be fairly small to save server space so if you take them with your phone you will need to resize them. 

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
There are no fan pins on a mana Se.  There are 3 laser pins, 4 servo pins, 2 motor pins, and 4 serial pins.  are you referring to the motor pins which have a red connector?

I sincerely apologize. It is labeled as motor**, that's why I said that. Yes the red connector.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:52:25 PM by maxcsmith »

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
Sounds like the Nano is fried. You could try building the Arduino example blink program with the output pin assigned to D11. It will pulse at a one second rate and monitor with the multimeter.

TBH I've tried two working nanos fresh out of box. Same deal.

maxcsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:08 PM »
you might be better off just showing us a picture of your set up.  I suspect you have it wired wrong.  To post pictures here they need to be fairly small to save server space so if you take them with your phone you will need to resize them.

I actually unplugged the laser, it was in the red port.

Added stickers to cover up the curse words. :| ha editedit: don't use this picture as a reference I flipped the x axis a couple times and it was in reverse.

In case anyone notices the belt, I already fixed it.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:41:14 PM by maxcsmith »

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
ok now that i see it.  All that stuff about 5v doesnt apply to you.  You need to know one thing.  when you go into the laser software and turn on the laser do you get 12v between the two posts in the red connector?  If so you have a bad laser.

If you do not get 12v with the laser turned on in the software then your mosfet is most likely blown.  That will require you to solder on a new one or replace the board. 

We know it is not your nano because you got the 5 v on the s pin.  (not that you will use that pin but it is indicative of your nano being fine)  So now we know its your mosfet or your laser.