Author Topic: Lightburn  (Read 673 times)

nottingham82

• View Profile
Lightburn
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
There is a new software which someone is trying out on the facebook eleksmaker group. 

https://lightburnsoftware.com/

I have downloaded the full feature 30 day trial.  It does not come with firmware so you either need to know how to modify your firmware yourself or use zax's T2 firmware before going to laserburn.  It does not do rotary.  It is $30 for grbl license (which is for 2 pcs and any number of lasers) or $80 if you need to control co2 laser.

It does use home switches very well.  I definitely like the fit/finish and feel of the software.  It works well with dxf and svg files.  It can also easily adjust power and speed of specific lines.  All in all I would say it appears to be a nice software but for me cant replace t2 due to the lack of grbl firmware support and lack of rotary support. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: Lightburn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
First - I have been trying this software package since it was first released the first of the year.

It's interface is much like what comes with the higher end DSP based CO2 machines and I think a lot of their focus in on the higher end CO2 laser system's with the $80 level.

The $30 GRBL level works fine with out diode laser's and also works well with the K40/Cohesion Mini with either Smoothie or GBRL code.

I don't think this is a good place for new user's to start because as you said it does not have any firmware support and assumes that you have a working machine and know how to use it. Since I have always built my own firmware and am using X,Y and Z homing already on my ACRO machine I have been able to use it with no firmware changes or problems. With what I am trying to do on the ACRO machine it does not do anything that I can't already do with T2.

On the K40 there are some features that I do like for acrylic work where I can do multiple passes - one to etch an image followed by cutting the piece out where its not a simple outline. I had been using K40 Whisperer because of these features and didn't upgrade the machine to the Cohesion Mini until after trying LaserBurn out on the ACRO.

It does have a lot of features that I like, but it is also a young product with a lot of features not yet implemented and updates almost every day. The bottom line is we now just have one more tool that might be able to help us. It took me a while to figure out how to use it, and I am far from a new laser user.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind