Author Topic: Building an eggbot type laser  (Read 3513 times)

SteveK

• View Profile
Building an eggbot type laser
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:05 AM »
I'm a wood turner and I want to build a machine loosely based on the eggbot chassis, the fabrication on a prototype is nearly done. I can handle that part of it just fine. The electronics is way out of my comfort zone however. I have ordered this laser

https://www.banggood.com/450nm-3500mW-3_5W-Blue-Laser-Module-With-TTL-Modulation-for-DIY-Laser-Cutter-Engraver-p-1103261.html?utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Shipoutinform171129&utm_campaign=newsletter-emarsys&utm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_2671705&sc_eh=f9e8a125cb91fbee1&sc_llid=1090629&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=dYcR3qBDFL&cur_warehouse=CN

I have also ordered these stepper motors which I believe will be sufficient for what I want to do with this machine.

https://www.banggood.com/Nema-17-42mm-12V-Hybrid-Two-Phase-Stepper-Motor-For-3D-Printer-p-1164619.html?utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Shipoutinform171129&utm_campaign=newsletter-emarsys&utm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_2671705&sc_eh=f9e8a125cb91fbee1&sc_llid=831524&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=dYcR3qBDFL&cur_warehouse=CN

A while back I ordered what I thought was the same controller that's on my A3 machine but after a little more research I'm not sure if it will work for me. It's this one.

https://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015947.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I'm not sure if this is exactly what I want, if it's not, can someone tell me what controller I'd want to order? A link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Building an eggbot type laser
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
That controller will work just fine, it's the Mana CNC which is a 3-axis version of their 2-axis SE board that comes with the lasers.

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Zax but fair warning, I bet it's not the last question I'll be asking before I'm done here!

Steve

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:24:32 AM »
That's fine with me, it keeps my brain awake!

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
Okay, have made some progress on my custom build and would like everyone's  thoughts, am I on the right track? The machine as it sets has about 10" capacity in length and about 8" in diameter. This is a project to see if my idea will work, to learn, as I'm not an electronics guy, and hopefully to lead to a larger build in the future.
I have lots of questions and I'm sure there are questions I haven't considered as yet. At this point the laser is not hooked up. Hopefully I'll get that done today or tomorrow but then I have to table the project for a week or so.

I assume I'm going to have to calibrate the machine so I know how far one rotation is in distance for both axis'? The wooden face plates are temporary and will be replaced with aluminum ones. It's my intention to use this machine to burn geometric patterns and do layout on things like small wooden vessels, ornament globes, bangles, etc. etc. I will probably use inkscape to draw most of patterns.
I appreciate any and all comments, positive or negative. Suggestions to improve on the idea are welcome as well.
Thanks
Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OTVztpK7U
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:40:05 AM by SteveK »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
There might be a problem with your link to the video.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:52 AM »
I have posted as unlisted and apparently a person needs a gmail account to view it. I'll change it to public for a bit.

Steve

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:44:05 AM by SteveK »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »
Thanks for posting. I have just finished building a rotary fixture for etching glass and am interested in your results. I think a third axes for keeping the laser head at a constant distance would be necessary. What power laser and lens do you have?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks for posting. I have just finished building a rotary fixture for etching glass and am interested in your results. I think a third axes for keeping the laser head at a constant distance would be necessary. What power laser and lens do you have?

When are you going to post that puppy?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:20 PM »
I have posted as unlisted and apparently a person needs a gmail account to view it. I'll change it to public for a bit.

Steve

Nice setup. DANG I WANT A SHOP LIKE YOURS!
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
Why 2 steppers for the rotation? Weight?

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »
Why 2 steppers for the rotation? Weight?

That's part of it of course. The Mana SE supports two steppers so I figured why not? That, and they are so affordable at about 7 bucks apiece it's very cheap insurance. I'm also looking ahead to building one of these that would have a lot more capacity. The biggest form I've turned is about 15" high and 14" major diameter. Something that large would benefit from being driven from either end I think.

Steve

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »

I thought a lot about the z axis and how to address that. Finally for this one I didn't feel it's necessary for my intended use. In my mind the ideal situation would have a range finder running a stepper to keep the axis  within a couple millimeters. Don't know for sure if that's doable, at this point I'm sure it's not doable for me.
My laser is a 3.5watt ttl with whatever lens came on it.

Steve

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »
Range finder sounds like an excellent idea. Especially for solids. I was planning on adding profiles but that would be a lot of work.

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
Range finder sounds like an excellent idea. Especially for solids. I was planning on adding profiles but that would be a lot of work.

I also think a mechanical follower with a free floating z-axis may work. I would think it would work very well  on glass. Just not sure how it do on a surface like wood that has grain.